Identifying unlabeled pool chemical?

Transient

Feb 3, 2021
BC, Canada
A friend gave me a pile of pool and spa chemicals. Amongst the collection was 3 unlabeled 3" white pucks in clear plastic wrap. They were not sure what they are.

I suspect it is chlorine, and they look exactly like the trichlor pucks that I have, however those have a distinct smell to them which these do not seem to have.
I added one to a pail of fresh water and tested it after a while using a test strip. It showed free chlorine or bromine present.

My concern is that in with the pile of chemicals is also a container of bromine spa tabs. Is there any way to know for sure if the pucks are chlorine and not bromine?

I'm usually of the mind set that "free is for me" but not with unknown pool chemicals. If you suspect they are chlorine, find out how what your area's disposal requirements are for pool chemicals and take them far away from your pool

Reactions: SoDel
Thanks for the advice. I was also thinking of getting rid of them, unless there was a way to be certain of what they are. I'll call a pool store and see if they will take them or if they know where I can dispose of them.

You could always throw it in the toilet tank!
Until someone pees in the toilet and the ammonia combines with the chlorine to form a deadly toxic explosive gas called nitrogen trichloride and kills everyone in the house.

Don't mess around with unknown chemicals.

Dispose of them properly and safely.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.