Identifying and Tackling my Algae Problem

FourReelFish

Jun 29, 2019
Florida, USA
After a period of neglect from previous owners, and a few forgotten attempts at remedy guided by Leslie's pool store, our pool officially has some problems. Along the walls and the floor of my pool, there exists a hive mind of what I presume to be algae.

On the walls, there are large, VERY STUBBORN spots of algae which I think are the regular green. It isn't affected by our vacuum so the only way we have found to eliminate it is to hop in with a small brush and give it our all. Any normal brushing has seen no improvement onto it, and I fear brushing now because of the algae at the bottom. I'll get onto that now.

Now onto the floor, there are small dots of dark stuff. I am not sure, but I am guessing it's black algae. This makes me nervous because I know that this will be a very difficult, and ANNOYING, process that could last a loooong time. It has been completely unaffected by any vacuuming, so it definitely is in there strong. I will attach photos of the walls and the floor of the deep end to showcase what I'm looking at. (I attached them as thumbnails so they weren't as large)

My pool is clear, but I assume that will not be the case for long. What do you recommend and how should I go about fixing this problem? Feel free to give more details than I could ever handle, ant thank you very much in advance.
Wall Algae 1.JPGWall Algae 2.JPGWall Algae 3.JPGFloor Algae 1.JPGFloor Algae 2.JPG

At first glance, it sure does look like algae, and perhaps some black algae as well. Although you would think the fiberglass might've been a little bit more impervious to it. Maybe not. For now, I would definitely implement a SLAM Process. That is #1 to eliminate any live algae. The elevated FC level, based on your current CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels, should also help to lighten or possibly eliminate some of the spotting. If any spots do not seem to react to the chlorine after a few days, consider doing some spot testing to make sure you don't have a mixture of algae and iron (or copper) staining. Test for iron with Vitamin C tabs and copper with dry acid.

Being that your pool is light colored, my first glance made me think of metal staining. Fiberglass pools are like magnets for copper stains which people unknowingly add when they use cheap algaecide products or Clorox XtraBlue products.

Have you used any of those items?

Maddie :flower:

Just weird....to me they look like splatter spots of something poured in but not mixed or brushed around.

Can you scrape any off and schmear it on a piece of white paper? What does it look like then?

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.