Identify that pool chemical! I found Dazzle Performance Plus in my Pool Store Corner

TheDeuce

Gold Supporter
Jul 9, 2019
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi crew!

I was straightening out my garage a bit this afternoon and found a bucket of Dazzle Performance Plus. I have no idea what it is or why I have it. No ingredients listed, of course. I've Googled all over the place and can't find out what this stuff is. The description on Amazon and other sites all quote the verbiage on the bucket:

• Uses borate technology to enhance and soften water
  • Helps prevent and control bacteria growth
  • Elongates the lives of balancers and other chemicals
  • Compatible with chlorine and bromine systems
Performance Plus is Dazzle's top of the line water conditioner and softener. It makes your water feel luxuriously soft and gentle using borate technology. It also helps increase chemical efficiency by elongating the lives of your chemicals (saving you money and time) and both prevents and controls algae growth. Performance Plus is a great overall money saving, time saving and water enhancing product!
How to Use: Pour required dosage into a clean skimmer with the pump running
Pro Tip: Apply Performance Plus in the spring to get all of the benefits of Performance Plus all pool season long!

Any ideas what it is that I have 16+ pounds of and probably paid $150+ for?

m.

Those borate products are usually a mixture of tetraborates and boric acid to produce a relatively neutral effect on pH. Either way, it’s a borate pool or spa product. You can dump it in the trash or use it if you like.

Which is the stuff I use to raise pH (with an incidental minor elevation of TA) correct?

It's not an issue at the moment but when the time comes for me to hike my pH does it matter if Dazzle Performance Plus is Borax or boric acid? When pool math directs me to add, say, five pounds of Borax do I use the same weight of boric acid?

Had my first stranger mention admiration for our beautiful pool today. Love that TFP feeling!

m.

Boric acid is weak acid and will slightly lower pH. Borax is a strong(ish) base and will raise pH.

Not sure what that product will do.

Hi guys! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I called the pool store that sold it to me and they emailed the Safety Data Sheet from Dazzle. It's 100% boric acid.

Given that, what do I use this stuff for?

m.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Huh. I'll have to do a forum search on the pros and cons of borates. More importantly, what the recommended levels are...

m.

I don't think there are any real downsides to borates. I put them in my pool, 50 ppm, and my water looks better, feels better, doesn't irritate eyes, and the PH has been extremely stable. I also have my salt level up to 1930, so that also affects the feel. Just make sure your TA and PH are where you want them to be before you add the borates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.