Gold Supporter
Sep 1, 2015
White Plains, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was in the local big box store the other day looking for some baking soda to raise my pool TA. On the shelf, I saw a package of Clorox "Alkalinity Increaser" (see photo #1) and took a look at the ingredients. Surprisingly, the package indicated that the ideal TA level for a vinyl liner pool was 125-150 ppm (see photo #2), nearly TWICE the TFP recommended level. I understand that there can be some difference of opinion as to this subjective level, but a factor of nearly 2:1, I have to wonder if we're talking about the same thing.
Why such a difference?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Clorox label.jpg
    Clorox label.jpg
    491.4 KB · Views: 3
  • TA range.jpg
    TA range.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 4
It is really irrelevant what some of these other recommendations are for chemistry levels. Chlorox, pool stores, etc. just don't know about, or do not follow TFP practices. A lot of pool "recommendations" are from outdated, obscure, or just plain incorrect practices in comparison to TFP. As a lot of said, there is the TFP method, and then everything else. TFPers just ignore all other suggestions, but really wouldn't even pick up a bag of Chlorox products to see what the suggestions were (maybe except for their CYA, that one is ok).

I was in the local big box store the other day looking for some baking soda to raise my pool TA. On the shelf, I saw a package of Clorox "Alkalinity Increaser" (see photo #1) and took a look at the ingredients. Surprisingly, the package indicated that the ideal TA level for a vinyl liner pool was 125-150 ppm (see photo #2), nearly TWICE the TFP recommended level. I understand that there can be some difference of opinion as to this subjective level, but a factor of nearly 2:1, I have to wonder if we're talking about the same thing.
Why such a difference?

Thanks!
Because the levels listed on the box are assuming you are using Trichlor which is very acidic, and causes your PH to go down.
You wouldn't want your TA to be 50-60 while using Trichlor as your PH could swing rapidly and cause either equipment damage or scaling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.