Ideal cyanuric level

dkode

Feb 1, 2020
Austin, TX
Hello,
New pool as of three months ago. Balancing and testing going fine.

currently I’m adding approximately 32oz of 12.5% bleach a day and I’m curious if a higher CYA level is better for my location or if this is the expected amount of chlorine I should be adding to the pool.

when do CYA levels become unreasonable. I assume higher CYA levels mean higher FC range, but FC loss is less frequent?

also, I’ll be out of town for an entire month this summer and am wondering if I should put a bunch of tablets in the chlorinator or hire someone to maintain the pool for a month. Right now I have all the levels close to perfect and want to keep everything in the ideal range. Here’s my current levels:PoolMath Logs

Location is Austin, tx. Pool is in sunlight from 7am until 5pm

Your CYA of 50 is as high as you want to go. 32 oz a day is only 2.6 ppm FC per day. That is low for your area.

If you are going to be gone for an entire month, tablets will not work. And your CYA is all ready as high as you want.

Either someone will have to add chlorine every day or you need to invest in a SaltWater Chlorine Generator now.

I assume you don’t have a SWG? I wouldn’t let your CYA get higher than 50. For me, 40 is ideal but it was at 50 last summer and I had no problems. The only thing is, I had to avoid dichlor and any trichlor pucks since both have CYA in them and I definitely did not want to add more CYA into the water and end up above 50. So keeping a steady supply of bleach was a must since I had no backup source other than cal-hypo. I would hire someone or pay a neighbor or family member to add liquid chlorine if you’re going to be away for a month and won’t have anyone at home that can add LC.

Last edited:
I assume you don’t have a SWG? I wouldn’t let your CYA get higher than 50. For me, 40 is ideal but it was at 50 last summer and I had no problems. The only thing is, I had to avoid dichlor and any trichlor pucks since both have CYA in them and I definitely did not want to add more CYA into the water and end up above 50. So keeping a steady supply of bleach was a must since I had no backup source other than cal-hypo. I would hire someone or pay a neighbor or family member to add liquid chlorine if you’re going to be away for a month and won’t have anyone at home that can add LC.
What is your typical daily FC like loss?

Hello,
New pool as of three months ago. Balancing and testing going fine.

currently I’m adding approximately 32oz of 12.5% bleach a day and I’m curious if a higher CYA level is better for my location or if this is the expected amount of chlorine I should be adding to the pool.

when do CYA levels become unreasonable. I assume higher CYA levels mean higher FC range, but FC loss is less frequent?

also, I’ll be out of town for an entire month this summer and am wondering if I should put a bunch of tablets in the chlorinator or hire someone to maintain the pool for a month. Right now I have all the levels close to perfect and want to keep everything in the ideal range. Here’s my current levels:PoolMath Logs

Location is Austin, tx. Pool is in sunlight from 7am until 5pm
What is your current CYA? Oh...it is 50. Do you use a solar cover? That cut my daily FC loss to one 1 yesterday with being covered all day with no swimmers. I am trying to learn my pool’s tendencies. My cya is 40.

Last edited:
What is your typical daily FC like loss?
Depends on the weather and whether or not the pool was used that day. If it’s hot and sunny all day but no swimming, I can easily lose 2-3ppm (after adding the chlorine right before sunrise and testing again after the sun sets). If I lay out/swim in the pool (by myself) for a couple hours, it’s more like 4ppm. Other variables like heavy rainfall (dilution) and winds causing a large amount of debris to get into the pool obviously will eat up more chlorine as well. This is why I always keep my FC on the higher range for my CYA of 40. Better to be safe than sorry. Thankfully, I’ve never had a speck of algae but I do go through a lot of LC lol

Depends on the weather and whether or not the pool was used that day. If it’s hot and sunny all day but no swimming, I can easily lose 2-3ppm (after adding the chlorine right before sunrise and testing again after the sun sets). If I lay out/swim in the pool (by myself) for a couple hours, it’s more like 4ppm. Other variables like heavy rainfall (dilution) and winds causing a large amount of debris to get into the pool obviously will eat up more chlorine as well. This is why I always keep my FC on the higher range for my CYA of 40. Better to be safe than sorry. Thankfully, I’ve never had a speck of algae but I do go through a lot of LC lol
Do you use a solar cover? Is your pool full sun? Do you always target 7?

also, I’ll be out of town for an entire month this summer and am wondering if I should put a bunch of tablets in the chlorinator or hire someone to maintain the pool for a month.
An entire month! nice, I hope its for fun. You are either going to need an SWG or someone to monitor the pool for you for that time. Using pucks is going to make your CYA skyrocket. BTW can you put your equipment in your signature? We would have a better idea of what to recommend if you we know what kind of equipment you have.

Do you use a solar cover? Is your pool full sun? Do you always target 7?
No solar cover and only full sun for about 6-8 hours. 7 is just a number I threw out there but 7 is probably the average. I sometimes add more and make it higher early in the morning or at night if I know I’ll be using the pool the next day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.