IC40 - No lights

Ronson_321

May 12, 2020
Los Angeles
I noticed that my Intellichlor IC40 today was totally dead with no lights. I checked obvious stuff like fuses but everything seemed fine. I suspect the cell may have gone bad as its quite old (installed 10 years ago but probably only 5 years of actual service).

I would welcome any troubleshooting tips to prove its a cell issue before shelling out $1500 for a new one.

Ron,

You can test the DC volts out of the power center going to the cell. It should be about 35 to 40 volts DC. All the lights and everything else runs off of this same DC voltage.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks.

I'm not very handy with electrical stuff - what would I precisely need to do to test the DC volts out of the power center (besides getting hold of a volt meter) ? I attach a photo of my power center.

Attachments

• IMG-0049.jpg
    IMG-0049.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 7
Ron,

I have never tested the DC output on that particular Power Center, but if you look in the lower right you will see large Red and Black wires going out to the cell.

If I was doing this, I would follow those two wires back to where they attach to the little circuit card in the power center. With the Cell connected, the voltage should be 30 to 40 volts DC. If the voltage is low, then unplug the cell and see what it reads.

I was just answering your question. My gut says that your 10 year old cell is dead. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks. That's my guess too but I think its probably still worth checking the power.

Totally different issue: Assuming I do need a replacement I just saw this on Amazon:

Seems to get decent reviews. Any thoughts or experience on how it stack up against the IC40 ? (Its less that half its price!)

Ron,

I have no clue. I have a Pentair automation system, so it would not work for me. If I did not have an automation system, it might be worth a shot. The problem of course is what happens over time. Until we have seen people using them for 5 or more years, you really don't know if it is a deal or not.

You should try one and then report back with your finding in five years.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.