iAqualink vs. ScreenLogic Automation Options? Which to get?

Nov 13, 2018
Las Vegas/NV
Hi all and 1st post here.

I have a Jandy-based pool/jacuzzi system, and I have received a quote for both the iAquaLink (Jandy) & ScreenLogic (Pentair) automation systems. Primarily interested in the ability to control my lights and the ability to turn on the jacuzzi to heat it up when I am away from home.

The cost difference is a few hundred dollars (Jandy being the cheaper option).

What have your experiences been with either system and their mobile app (IOS)?
What are your most pressing issues with the system?
Do either Apps support Siri voice automation?
Are both systems so equal in features/performance to simply purchase by best price?
Anything else I should know before I make a choice?

Thanks all!
darreln

I have the iAquaLink system and use the WiFi app to control operations and it has been working without any issues. Controls spa, water feature, lights and swim jet have been easy to setup for routine operations with the iPad and spontaneous needs on/off with the iPhone. I have a Polaris iq9650 robot cleaner on the same app and works great. I remotely start the spa 30 mins out and it ready to hop into when I get home. Get the unit with extra relay slot just Incase you need another pump or water sprinkler or deck lights later on.

Darrel,

I did not know that the Pentair ScreenLogic system would even work on a Jandy automation system..

If it does, I sure don't see it in any of the ScreenLogic documentation... :confused:

That said, I have ScreenLogic and love it!!! If you had a Pentair automation system, it would be what I would recommend.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I have the iAquaLink system and use the WiFi app to control operations and it has been working without any issues. Controls spa, water feature, lights and swim jet have been easy to setup for routine operations with the iPad and spontaneous needs on/off with the iPhone. I have a Polaris iq9650 robot cleaner on the same app and works great. I remotely start the spa 30 mins out and it ready to hop into when I get home. Get the unit with extra relay slot just Incase you need another pump or water sprinkler or deck lights later on.
Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear it's working great :)

- - - Updated - - -

Darrel,

I did not know that the Pentair ScreenLogic system would even work on a Jandy automation system..

If it does, I sure don't see it in any of the ScreenLogic documentation... :confused:

That said, I have ScreenLogic and love it!!! If you had a Pentair automation system, it would be what I would recommend.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey Jim, according to the installer, either system will work! Glad the Pentair is working so great for you, thanks for the feedback!

What Jandy equipment do you have? Typically you would stay all in the same maker for automation. For some things, like pumps, there are cross-system compatibility, but with things like SWCGs you will want to go with the same maker.

There are three minor issues with iaqualink. First, it doesn’t allow me to set the lights to go on at sunset and off at sunrise. I have to keep changing the on/off times as the seasons come and go. Second, if I want to set something to go on every Monday or every day I can do that easily. But if I want to set something to go on more than one day (but less than all days) I have to set each one individually. For example, if I want to set my Polaris to come on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the same time, I have to set each day individually because the controls don’t allow me to pick three days for a setting.
Third, if you are in Web mode (which you must be in to set schedules) and you try to change a schedule (for example you want to change the stop time of your landscape lights) and you accidentally X out before saving your change, the Iaqualink freezes you out and you can’t get back into the program until you call Iaqualink and have them reset you (or you unscrew the controls at the pool and unplug your connection).

What Jandy equipment do you have? Typically you would stay all in the same maker for automation. For some things, like pumps, there are cross-system compatibility, but with things like SWCGs you will want to go with the same maker.
I am thinking along the same lines...I have Jandy Equipment.

- - - Updated - - -

There are three minor issues with iaqualink. First, it doesn’t allow me to set the lights to go on at sunset and off at sunrise. I have to keep changing the on/off times as the seasons come and go. Second, if I want to set something to go on every Monday or every day I can do that easily. But if I want to set something to go on more than one day (but less than all days) I have to set each one individually. For example, if I want to set my Polaris to come on Monday, Wednesday and Friday at the same time, I have to set each day individually because the controls don’t allow me to pick three days for a setting.
Third, if you are in Web mode (which you must be in to set schedules) and you try to change a schedule (for example you want to change the stop time of your landscape lights) and you accidentally X out before saving your change, the Iaqualink freezes you out and you can’t get back into the program until you call Iaqualink and have them reset you (or you unscrew the controls at the pool and unplug your connection).
that's great feedback, and good to know. thank you!

If you do go with Aqualink and are happy to do a bit of DIY, then this software will do Apple Siri & Homekit integration and overcome all the flaws grottoguy pointed out. It runs on a $10 Raspberry Pi zero.
GitHub - sfeakes/AqualinkD: Daemon to control Jandy Aqua Link RS pool equipment from any home automation hub (Alexa, Homekit Siri, Home Assistant, smartthings, domoticz etc) or web browser.
Wow, that's AWESOME! I already use an old iPad as my HomeKit hub, and I am running "Homebridge" on my iMac which gives me a hack to integrate nest products in to HomeKit. thank you for the link, I will certainly see if I can install that on my iMac as well (yes I have decided to go with the Jandy solution). :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.