iAqualink no longer works - help!

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
I'm sure I'll need to provide info, but I'll start with some basics...

A few months ago my app stopped operating my iAqualink. It is hard wired so it's not a WiFi issue (had WiFi trouble at the outset when we built about 4 years ago, so they just hard wired it).

I had my pool builder out to take a look, and he told me I needed the "new version"....he later emailed me the following:

"Hello mr Robinson the price for the new antenna is $610.00 installed with 3 year warranty"

I've reached back out with no return calls from them so I really don't know what I need. He told me when he came out that I could order what I need and install it myself much cheaper than having them do it. I'd love to do that, but I don't know what to order, and really don't want to pay someone else to come out to tell me what to order. At that point i may as well pay someone to do it.

Right now my antenna is an IQ900.

My handheld controller at home still works (has a separate antenna), but I miss the ability to be able to control from my phone.

Anyone else run into this issue?

You need to know what you have before you upgrade. You could need as little as the IQ20-A wireless kit. Do you program from your PDA or from your phone? If you take a picture of your box/panel and post that would help as well.

A few months ago Jandy had an issue with an upgrade to their servers.

Almost everyone lost connectivity. Have you tried logging out of the app and back in? If not try that. Also try to log on from the webpage.

If this doesn’t work give Jandy a call and talk to the iAquaLink support. It maybe a problem on their end.

I program from the PDA. I've tried logging out and in, and I called support when it first happened and they basically told me i needed to have the pool builder or someone else come out and look at it.

It sounds like there is simply something wrong with your antenna. Have you checked the connection to your router? Do all the lights come on the side when it is working? Has anything changed on your home network? Have you rebooted your home router?

Yes, checked all that. When the guy came out before he basically told me that my equipment (i'm guessing he meant the antenna) was out dated and needed to be upgraded.

Is anyone else still using IQ900? is it obsolete?

Yes, checked all that. When the guy came out before he basically told me that my equipment (i'm guessing he meant the antenna) was out dated and needed to be upgraded.

Is anyone else still using IQ900? is it obsolete?

Being outdated doesn't mean it won't work. The newer model is as I listed above. You should call Jandy though and let them troubleshoot the issue and if you need the IQ20-A they will make sure your system is compatible.

So in the op it says hardwired. I’m assuming you’ve run an Ethernet cable to the IQ900?

See page 10 (https://www.jandy.com/~/media/zodiac/global/downloads/h/h0364100.pdf)

Are the lights blinking on the unit? If it is hardwired I would unplug the Ethernet cable from the device and plug it into a laptop to confirm the wire didn’t go bad.

Exactly what I was going to ask

the iq900 is what i have and the wifi on it and the programming of the wifi is so broken its hard to describe.
I bet the same guys that designed that were responsible for the "upgrade " earlier this year that took the system down for days

I use a power line ethernet adapter to get internet to my iq900 antenna in the back yard .. It works great

about 2x a season I have to reboot it but thats all ...

there is no reason to upgrade unless yours is actually broken

in my 3 years ive yet to find a pool maintenance person who could spell wifi let alone trouble shoot it
The easy asnwer is to upgrade

Im passionate enough about this that Ill walk you through troubleshooting it on the phone if it saves you the cost of an upgrade

Answer the questions above
how is internet getting to your pool panel ?
A cat 5 network cable ?
Do you see LED lights on the IQ900 ? if not your cable may be bad.

Take and post some pictures and we can help you get this fixed

Exactly what I was going to ask

the iq900 is what i have and the wifi on it and the programming of the wifi is so broken its hard to describe.
I bet the same guys that designed that were responsible for the "upgrade " earlier this year that took the system down for days

I use a power line ethernet adapter to get internet to my iq900 antenna in the back yard .. It works great

about 2x a season I have to reboot it but thats all ...

there is no reason to upgrade unless yours is actually broken

in my 3 years ive yet to find a pool maintenance person who could spell wifi let alone trouble shoot it
The easy asnwer is to upgrade

Im passionate enough about this that Ill walk you through troubleshooting it on the phone if it saves you the cost of an upgrade

Answer the questions above
how is internet getting to your pool panel ?
A cat 5 network cable ?
Do you see LED lights on the IQ900 ? if not your cable may be bad.

Take and post some pictures and we can help you get this fixed

Yes, pool maintenance guy just said "Replace it!"

Ugh.....

Okay, a few answers -- it's hardwired with CAT 5. Lights on the side are as follows: PWR is solid red light, NET is a blinking yellow light, SRV is a blinking green light

When I go to the app, it shows my pool with a RED DOT next to it on the app. When i click on my pool on the app, it says "Connection Error...could not connect to device"

Ideas?

I have rebooted router, unplugged CAT 5 cable for a few minutes, all the normal "reset" type tricks....

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There are a couple of lights on the back of the router where the cat 5 cable plugs into. Any of them on/blinking when connected?

Looks like there are 4 cables plugged in (4 slots)....i think i can narrow it down to two cables that could be "the one"...both of those have a solid orange light...the other two have a solid green light.

The router is in Master closet...opposite side of the house from pool equipment. To hard wire, they ran the wire (in a conduit) up the wall and attached it via an outlet in an upstairs bedroom. That's why I'm not positive which one it is....I can't trace the whole thing.

I'm probably frustrating you guys, but giving the best detail I can. Is there a way to test the cable by taking my laptop outside to the antenna?

Just spoke with Jandy customer service. He had me take my laptop outside and connect to the CAT5 wire to see if it would allow me to surf the web (basically test the line..not sure why i had not done this on my own). It worked fine. He said that means I need a new antenna. Anyone disagree with this? If not, looks like I'll be getting iQ20-A. Best deal I've seen is $330 at PoolZoom.com

Before I drop over $300, making sure none of you recommend something else.....

Just spoke with Jandy customer service. He had me take my laptop outside and connect to the CAT5 wire to see if it would allow me to surf the web (basically test the line..not sure why i had not done this on my own). It worked fine. He said that means I need a new antenna. Anyone disagree with this? If not, looks like I'll be getting iQ20-A. Best deal I've seen is $330 at PoolZoom.com

Before I drop over $300, making sure none of you recommend something else.....

Check out the IQ20-RS instead. It changes the roles of your system from the PDA to the web/online for programming. It is what I have and I had the IQ20-A first which I thought was useless. The Q20-RS comes with a new PCB board it takes around 10 minutes to install it all. Online programming instead of the PDA is like a million times better.

FYI: Since you are coming from the PDA system, you only need the upgrade that includes the antenna and the PCB board. The one on that site includes a new faceplate which you do not need. Check with Jandy for the correct kit.

Try this. Open the antenna and use the switch and select WiFi, unhook the ether cable. Then flip the breaker to your equipment.

Wait 5 min. Flip the breaker back, wait a minute or two and then flip the switch back to wired and connect the Ethernet cable.

If that doesn’t work it’s probably broken. The only other thing I could think of is running the WiFi setup instructions but you said WiFi wouldn’t reach that far right? If it does you could try it.

I would just do a power cycyle of the pool equipment to start ....

Then see if you can get into the aqualink site from your PC

Check out the IQ20-RS instead. It changes the roles of your system from the PDA to the web/online for programming. It is what I have and I had the IQ20-A first which I thought was useless. The Q20-RS comes with a new PCB board it takes around 10 minutes to install it all. Online programming instead of the PDA is like a million times better.

FYI: Since you are coming from the PDA system, you only need the upgrade that includes the antenna and the PCB board. The one on that site includes a new faceplate which you do not need. Check with Jandy for the correct kit.

Hmmm...okay, now I'm struggling with what to order. I've tried all suggestions on this thread, so I've decided my antenna is definitely the issue.

On the "what to order" question....I want to understand. Here's what I feel are my options:

1) order the iQ20-a - antenna only, and my programming would remain through the pda (but i could still turn on features and lights remotely from my phone)

2) order the iQ20-RS -- new antenna and board...now i would do programming on web or on app on my phone

Option 1 is approx $300
Option 2 is approx $600

Am I paying the extra $300 ONLY for the programming difference or are there other advantages? I just don't change the programming very often so not sure I see the huge advantage, but I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT I'M MISSING. The last thing i want to do is spend the $300 and regret it in a few months. I want to get this purchase right....

Last edited:
How old is the PDA? Our previous pool in a previous house had basic automation but when we moved in no remote. A replacement was 500 bucks.

So when we built this pool I went straight to the iq20-rd and didn’t even buy a remote.

I guess my point is if the PDA breaks, lost, eaten by the dog what will it cost to replace? Because you’ll have to inorder to program your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.