Iaqualink and mesh router incompatibility - workaround options

Fadam

Jul 10, 2019
Huntington, NY
I upgraded to eero mesh over the winter and am now experiencing the issues with my jandy Iaqualink 2.0 well documented here and elsewhere. I was able to get connected by using an old WiFi extender with an Ethernet port and wiring in the Iaqualink, my problem is that isn’t really a permanent solution given my current setup is outdoors, and it will take either more wiring or a different extender to make it weatherproof. I guess my three options (assuming I don’t just troubleshoot the wireless, which seems to be a temporary solution at best) look like:

1. Upgrade my wireless extender to be weatherproof and keep the Ethernet wiring short.
2. Run a longer Ethernet cable for a wired setup, I do have a poolhouse nearby so it’s not that long of a run, but requires dealing with the wire from inside poolhouse -> equipment
3. Upgrade to the iQ30a for $500 which seems to solve the mesh network incompatibility issue.

I’m leaning towards #1, so just curious if anyone else has taken that approach, what extender you might have used, and any other advice you have.

I suggest option 1a, option 1, but use the wireless extender you have and get a good NEMA rated enclosure for the wireless extender, and also to enclose whatever power supply the wireless extender has.

If were me I would probably go for #2. My current aqualink is hardwired (an IQ3) and have zero network connectivity issues. The make direct-burial rated cat-5e cable (check Amazon), that can be used for the run for to the equipment from the poolhouse. Do you have the tooling for the RJ-45 connectors?

Another hard-wired option is to move the IQ2.0 unit inside your pool house and run the 4-conductor RS-458 cable from the pool house to the equipment instead.

I suggest option 1a, option 1, but use the wireless extender you have and get a good NEMA rated enclosure for the wireless extender, and also to enclose whatever power supply the wireless extender has.

If were me I would probably go for #2. My current aqualink is hardwired (an IQ3) and have zero network connectivity issues. The make direct-burial rated cat-5e cable (check Amazon), that can be used for the run for to the equipment from the poolhouse. Do you have the tooling for the RJ-45 connectors?

Another hard-wired option is to move the IQ2.0 unit inside your pool house and run the 4-conductor RS-458 cable from the pool house to the equipment instead.
Thanks.

Part of the issues is the extender is a plug in style (tp link RE 200) so I’m already using an extension cord to plug it into my outdoor outlets, but I will look into an enclosure before buying something new.

I don’t have those right now but I could figure that out, just not a small project getting through the outside wall of the poolhouse.

Interesting idea on moving the Iaqualink inside, didn’t think of that but I’ll consider it as well.

I moved my aqualink antenna inside for a hardwired connection. Was tired of the dropped wireless connections. It’s a lot easier to pull 4 conductor rs-485 cable inside than pulling an outdoor rated cat 5e cable outside and have to worry about special tools for terminating it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.