iAqualink 3.0 WiFi drop

zac280

Silver Supporter
May 29, 2018
Central Georgia
Three months ago, I got tired of the constant Wifi drops from my iAqualink 2.0, so I dropped 500 bucks on eBay and bought a brand new iAqualink 3.0. This time, I ran the wire into my conditioned crawlspace to better protect it from the elements, and it also had a good strong Wifi signal from there. I'm using a TP-Link Deco mesh XE75. It's worked flawlessly since then, and I've never noticed it drop. About a week ago, it lost connection, and every attempt I made to reset it, flip the switch back and forth, power cycle, failed. It would always bring up the available Wifi networks, that worked quickly. But it just wouldn't connect to the network. No way was I buying another one, so I just bit the bullet and ran a wire to it. I almost cut through the 485 cable drilling a hole through the case, should've tried harder to move it out of the way. No connection issues so far. Buyer beware using this thing on Wifi.

Thanks for the update.
For clarification, you purchased just the 3.0 Antenna and replaced the existing 2.0 Antenna, correct?
Did you have the 3.0 Antenna connected to your main SSID or did you set up a guest SSID dedicated to the 3.0 Antenna? I know some members have benefited by doing that.
Glad that the hardwire is working. Did you hardwire to the antenna port? Did you bring the antenna inside to make the hardwire or did you run the hardwire outside, leaving the antenna in its original place?

Be aware that the hardware can allow lightning strikes to propagate from your outside panel and take out devices on your home network.

The Wifi gives an air gap and usually constrains the damage to the outdoor equipment.

Be aware that the hardware can allow lightning strikes to propagate from your outside panel and take out devices on your home network.

The Wifi gives an air gap and usually constrains the damage to the outdoor equipment.
You could install an SPD on the ethernet cable to help mitigate this risk.

Thanks for the update.
For clarification, you purchased just the 3.0 Antenna and replaced the existing 2.0 Antenna, correct?
Did you have the 3.0 Antenna connected to your main SSID or did you set up a guest SSID dedicated to the 3.0 Antenna? I know some members have benefited by doing that.
Glad that the hardwire is working. Did you hardwire to the antenna port? Did you bring the antenna inside to make the hardwire or did you run the hardwire outside, leaving the antenna in its original place?
I replaced the whole 2.0 assembly with a 3.0. All is takes is swapping the 485 connector at the RS controller.

I used wired Ethernet instead of WiFi, didn't touch the antenna.

All my smart devices are on a separate 2.4 GHz only guest SSID.

Reactions: HermanTX

The CAT5e is all run under the floor from my main Ethernet switch, and the iAqualink is mounted to a floor joist. It's a sealed crawlspace, so weather protected and maintains good temperature and humidity. The only thing that runs outside is the 485 cable to the controller just on the other side of the external wall.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.