I want to replace my light fixture

My pool was built in 1998 so my light has seen some use. It’s a Hydrel 4400 series twist and lock mounting incandescent fixture. The fixture is held into the niche with a tab at the bottom and one screw at the top.

The light works fine for twenty or thirty minutes and then shuts off till it cools down and then it will come back on for another twenty or thirty. I took it apart and changed gaskets and put in a new bulb today but got the same results.

My question is has anyone changed their old incandescent fixture out for a new LED model? Do you have to change the niche also or are the fixtures somewhat universal and fit the niche? I guess I’m hoping to change the fixture and just run new wire through the conduit up to the junction box and keep my existing niche.

If anyone has done this or has any insight I sure would appreciate your advice.
Thanks in advance.

You don't always need to change the fixture to go to LED. There are LED bulbs that will screw right into your current fixture. All you need to know is the size and type of bulb.

An LED replacement bulb will run cooler and last longer than your current incandescent bulb.

http://www.inyopools.com/ProductLis...ent=pure-colors-ad&utm_campaign=category-page

Changing the actual fixture in the pool is generally no small or easy task.

I could be a handful of things causing your issues. Is you light 110v or is it powered by a transformer.

If its powered by a transformer I would suspect the transformer is going bad.

The thermal safety switch in the fixture which may be going bad as well.

It’s 110 volt. Is the thermal safety switch something that can be replaced or does that require a new fixture? It does seem like once it cools down it will come back on so that makes sense. I’ve checked the wiring from the junction box back to the switch inside the house and it all checks out ok. The socket in the actual fixture looks like it has seen some heat to me. It’s actually a little brown and the bulb does put off a tremendous amount of heat.

If the socket is loose or heat damaged it will do the same thing your describe.

I don't know if that switch is replaceable or not.

A LED bulb will run hundreds of degrees cooler than the incandescent bulb though so that should help things out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.