I want to install a few unions

Neemer

Gold Supporter
Oct 10, 2017
Fredericksburg, VA
Hi folks, I need some guidance/advice.

I want to install unions in my plumbing so I can easily remove the multiport valve and get to the sand in the filter. As I see it, I can either install unions somewhere downstream and upstream of the multiport, or I could replace the existing couplings on the multiport with unions. This brings me to my two questions:

1. How might you recommend I approach this?

2. Will any union work, or is there a preferred type or manuf?

IMG_2897.JPG

Neemer,

Good piping design includes use of unions for maintenance of equipment. Unfortunately many installers don't do this because unions are costly. Glad you are also asking how to approach this. I would look at each piece of equipment and assume you have to remove it right now. Where would you want to remove the union in terms of access and then actually removing the item. What location gives you best access if you need a belt wrench because it was over-tightened. In general you would wan the unions close the the piece of equipment so you don't have to lift it out with a bunch of extra pipe attached. As to the type they all work. The unions you have in the photo at the ends of the SWGC appear to be sched 40 pressure pipe unions. Using the more expensive pipe union designed for pools willl cost more but I find they are easier to remove especially after they've been in service for a long time. These also seem to be much more resistant to UV degradation than Sched 40 PVC fitting. Most equipmennt manufacturers make a union that will connect directly to the equipment. That is almost always the preferred union.

I hope this helps and we have a number of experts in this area that may offer additional guidance and tips. I'll call them for you. @Texas Splash @Jimrahbe .

Chris

Threaded Unions are only available from pool stores, ebay or Amazon. I would cut where the red lines are and start measuring from there.
Make sure you have all materials on hand before cutting so you dont have any down time.
IMG_2897.JPG

N,

There are three basic types of unions... The first and most useless one is what is sold by Home depot type stores.. It looks like this... Homewerks Worldwide 1-1/2 in. PVC Slip x Slip Union-511-14-112-112H - The Home Depot This type of union is only good if for some reason you want to join two pieces of PVC together..

The unions that you should use to connect your pump and multiport valve are called pump unions and they look like this.. Amazon.com: 2 PACK -CMP Hi-Temp Union 2" inch 2MIP x 2" inch PVC Whisperflo & Intelliflo - 2 PACK: Garden & Outdoor These unions screw into standard 2" threaded fitting in most pumps and multiport valves.. They are good because the threaded end has an O-Ring that prevents leaks like you see at most threaded fittings after a couple of years...

The third type of union is like what you see on your SWCG.. They come with the product and most of the time they will only fit on that specific product. Also some new pumps come with special unions. The pumps come with unions where the pump has the male fitting built into the pump body and the union has the female fitting.. The same way the SWCG unions work. Most of these are unions are not interchangeable.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Neemer, Felipe's suggestions are quite good. The only other thing you might consider is looking for high-temp union fittings near the pump - just in case. Other than that, it's all about access, convenience, and what works good for your pad. You are the PVC artist, so make it your own. :)

[/QUOTE]
Jim
The third type of union is like what you see on your SWCG.. They come with the product and most of the time they will only fit on that specific product. Also some new pumps come with special unions. The pumps come with unions where the pump has the male fitting built into the pump body and the union has the female fitting.. The same way the SWCG unions work. Most of these are unions are not interchangeable

Neemer,

Jim is right about the SWCG union threads. I was incorrect, they are not standard sched 40 unions. I had to replace one and couldn't find a thread anywhere that matched. Completely forgot about that before I read Jim's post. Ended up having to order it from the manufacturer.

Good luck Neemer, and thanks Jim!

Chris

and make sure you leave room to glue/thread your unions. in the pic above the red "cut" marks look to be agaisnt the current glue couplings, if you are going to use normal unions and not equipment unions leave some room to glue and for a whoops too

Reactions: Neemer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.