I want a swg pool wife wants chlorine ? ? ?

I’m gonna counter the contrarian who countered the contrarian who countered... well, you get the picture. Anyway -

Cost. Didn’t care about that, just wanted easy.
Ease. Yeah, it’s so easy. I walk by and pat it in the shoulder from time to time. That’s it.
Travel. Back in the olden days, when I left my house regularly, I could be gone for a week or even two, and my trusty SWG made sure I came home to a clean pool.

:snorkle:

o, what is the expected useful life for an swg? Presumably much longer for someone like the OP who only has a 4 month season, right?
I'm gonna give you the lawyers answer... It depends. How often you acid wash it, what average % output you use, the water temperature, and your chemistry. I really believe I get such long life times out of my SWG's because the pool's water temperature is very cool. unless I turn the heater on it stays in the 70's.. even when the air temp is in the 100's. My house and pool are shaded by a grove of old oaks and two giant redwoods. The hottest I ever got my pool, naturally, was 84, but that took a week of +105 degree weather.

Since I'm an insufferable contrarian, I will counter your counter.
My best friend is an insufferable contrarian. If you ask him if I am his best friend he will say "no", which means I am.

I will concede the I put in my SWG pre TFP. I don't know if the comparison would be the same for those that are already using the TFP method that switch. But imagine stumbling around with a pool chem (actually I wasn't stumbling all that much I lived with pools all my life) and discovering a stable source of constant chlorine. All the other chem values fell into place without the wild swings associated with weekly Cl additions. The TFP method has added even more structure and knowledge to that. But even given all that its still worth it in my book. I would go insane if I had to remember to go out to the pool and dump a cup of Cl in my pool everyday.

I have to value my leisure time as much as work... my clients think I am on call 365/24/7. If I don't they are bugging me at all hours! You would barely notice the difference between 2000 and 3000. At 3000 you reach the threshold of just being able to taste it for most people. Wait till @Newdude chimes in.. He lives down the street from you and has all kinds of insight on the economics NYC area. ;) If you are a DIYer... the costs are for just the equipment.. and then you can pay yourself for the install.

Last edited:
If you do SWCG, make sure it doesn’t compromise the warranty of your pool. I’d do a SWCG in a heart beat, but Doughboy states that the use of salt voids the warranty.

So, I installed a chlorine injection pump. I have the same level of maintenance as a SWCG pool.
Doughboy does have a saltwater friendly pool - the hydrosphere line. It has a lifetime warranty.

Cost. Didn’t care about that, just wanted easy.
Ease. Yeah, it’s so easy. I walk by and pat it in the shoulder from time to time. That’s it.
I pet mine like its the DOG !! Who's a good boy ?? Its YOU !!! Yes you are !!! Good good boy!!!!

I bought my Hayward swg as a rebuild from salt solutions, don’t remember what I paid for it, I think around 800 possibly, so that helped.

if you have an above ground, yes, it’ll rust out the bottom faster, but they all will. also, try to shield your pump motor from splashes, or move it further away and shield it. My sister has gone through 2 pumps in 10 years maybe?, and the current one she has sounds bad already.

if you’re at 2000ppm now, you won’t be doubling, you’re almost there, they like 3200ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Swg is the only way to go. How much money will you be spending on your green pool when you forget to daily dose liquid chlorine, or run out and haven’t made it to the pool/big box store? And forget about trying to get regular bleach for cheap in the laundry isle of the grocery store...almost all have additives you don’t want in your pool. First few years on this pool I used liquid chlorine because a swg will void my warranty. I decided to do the swg anyway. I live on a salt water canal in Florida and decided the salt from the air is WAY worse than any salt in the pool.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.