I want a swg pool wife wants chlorine ? ? ?

Sep 2, 2017
highland, il
I know, I know, happy wife Happy life!!!! However, I'm the one that will be maintaining it. She is against swg for some of the following reasons
- A $1000 more,up front.
- Thinks the salt will corrode items (sidewall, upright,etc) quicker than a chlorine pool
- A $1000 more, up front.
- Less of a warranty for a "salt friendly" pool, so we don't void the warranty on the first day.
We've had a 16'*48" Intex metal frame pool for a couple of years. I added a swg and sand filter with pump.
Were looking at a 18'*52" round hard side.
I understand if you want to stay out of this !! Hahahaha

• Haha
Reactions: carnivalday
The big difference is the upfront cost for the swg. I look at it this way...I'm going to spend $1000 sanitizing my pool over how ever many years. I can spend the money upfront and get the swg, or I can spend it over time as I go to the store and buy liquid chlorine. And then add that to my pool every single day. For me, my time is worth the upfront investment. Or maybe I should say, not having to remember to pour chlorine in my pool everyday is worth the upfront investment. LOL I don't think corrosion from an swg is a problem. There's really not enough salt in the pool. Warranty, I'm not sure about that one. Aren't most prorated so that they become really useless after a couple years? Will take a pass on that argument since I really don't know much about pool warranties.

Reactions: Skunked again
After doing it’s job, chlorine leaves salt behind. So whether you add chlorine manually or add salt for a SWCG, you’re going to have salt in the pool. You might be surprised how much salt you already have in the pool.

Most situations you’ll spend $300 yearly on chlorine so the money will easily be a wash by year 3 or earlier. The real savings comes in your time. Once a week addition of a cup of muratic acid vs. 7 days a week adding liquid chlorine. Oh, and the time going to the store to pick up more when you run out.

There is more salt than a std non-swg pool but neither is salt free. There are 100s, if not 1000s of liner pools using swgs without and structural damage to metal support structures.

I would put it this way- let her decide... she can either do the daily chlorine additions or you’ll be glad to add a swg to reduce her work load. She can choose one or the other....

I'll also add that this year, because of the COVID chlorine shortages, we finally made the jump to an SWG. Sure, the initial cost is a little bit of a sting, but we sure like the feel of that water with al the salt in it. I'm happy to not have to do anymore jug dumping.

I know, I know, happy wife Happy life!!!! However, I'm the one that will be maintaining it. She is against swg for some of the following reasons
- A $1000 more,up front.
- Thinks the salt will corrode items (sidewall, upright,etc) quicker than a chlorine pool
- A $1000 more, up front.
- Less of a warranty for a "salt friendly" pool, so we don't void the warranty on the first day.
We've had a 16'*48" Intex metal frame pool for a couple of years. I added a swg and sand filter with pump.
Were looking at a 18'*52" round hard side.
I understand if you want to stay out of this !! Hahahaha
If you get a SWG you both win.. The SWG creates Chlorine and she gets what she wants! Since you are doing the maintenance you front the $1000.. win win!

Yes, I want in on this fight! :hammer: here's why, As to the other things...
Corrosion is a myth unless your pool are has really soft rock. The salinity of a salt pool is: ~3400 ppm
Your sweat/tears are ~7000 ppm
The ocean is ~34000 ppm
Thats a salinity of 1/10th of the ocean and half of your tears. If the salt in the pool was the same as the ocean, then yeah, you would get corrosion, at the low salinity of a SWG pool, nope.
Sure you are paying up front for the Chlorine is one way to look at it. And that is if you calculate it over the average 3 year life span of a SWG. After that its free chlorine. Depending on the conditions your pool is in you may get a longer run time. My first cell lasted 9 years. The second cell is on its 6th year.. mind you I installed my SWG in 2005 so my free chlorine started in 2008. The other thing is a SWG is so much easier to maintain. In my job I bill hourly.. my time is money' based on that I paid off my SWG in the first year.
Then... don't get me started on how much better a salt pool feels.

Their take that into your fight.. and check back in with us for more ammo!:poke:

Before FloridaMan got his hands on them, Bath salts existed for a reason. Because they made the nice bath exquisite. You know who probably has used bath salts ? Your wife. I’ll bet she swears by them. The pool can feel similar.

also totally forget the whole rusting baloney. I live on the coast. The salt in the air alone is far more than my pool. If something rusts prematurely, pool stuffs too, it’s finish was compromised and exposure to the harsh elements and humidity is what rusted it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you to all for the replies. Wife is thoroughly confused now !! Job well done!

Yes, we still have the salt generator, it's in use, hooked up to current pool. It will be too small for the bigger pool. We could supplement with it, next year, however, it the pool and pump/filter are already sold/spoken for. They're getting it all this fall.

The good news is, you have her on the fence now, with swcg or chlorine. Thanks!!!!!!!

Hit her in the jugular. Go after her hair. My wife and one of my 2 daughters have very thick hair. Liquid chlorine pools knot them up something fierce and we need special 'swimmers shampoo' to fix it. Our salt pool is almost unnoticed when they have been swimming. Have her chat with @YippeeSkippy

I vote for salt!
In fact I like it so much my hot tub has a swg too!
Just tell her all your new internet friends agree a swg is the way to go🤣🤣
Also I just did the rough math based on your pool volume & if bleach prices remain the same (which they won’t) & you just add 4 ppm/day of 10% lc in 4 seasons you will be @ $1k.
On another note - i have a 27k gal above ground & i run 2 intex swg’s-(my pool has 2 returns) a 15kgal on one & a 7k gal on one - I already had them so i put em to work! When they give up the ghost I may be ready to spend for a “real” swg but they do ok for me. I bought some adapters on amazon & hooked em’ right up to my big girl pump, sand filter, & pool.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
My main reason for getting a SWG was, after reading up a little bit, I didnt want to keep running to town to buy a lot of chlorine, and keeping adding chlorine every day. It was just waaaaay too much effort and work and driving for me. Had that been my only option, Im not sure I would have gotten a pool. The SWG is doing the work for me. The only maintenance I have to do now is add muriatic acid now and again to level out my pH, and run weekly tests to make sure my SWG is doing its job. Its effortless.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.