I think I am done SLAM?!? Now what?

willy17

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2017
Whitby Ontario Canada
Good morning! I think I passed the OCLT today, but I am going to continue SLAM one last day. Hard to be patient when you’re staring at a clear pool and it’s hot out, so thanks to the form for keeping advice going.

Last night 9PM test I got FC of 29 (10mL test) and CC of near 0 (barely turned a slight shade pink).
This morning, at 6am I tested twice as I may have missed a drop, and got 27.5 and second test of 28 same with slightest shade pink on CC test that 1 drop cleared, so CC of less than .5PPM.

We also had some rain last night, light for a while and then a good downpour. Anyways, it’s so close and technically passed (funny as last evening I bought another 20 litres of chlorine) but I am going to do another day just to ensure I’m not taking a shortcut.

Questions after done:
1 - Do I leave the SWG off until the FC comes down to a more acceptable level?
2 - Should I test all levels again, right after I get back to less than 10ppm FC?

Thank you again. I’m sure more questions will come but for now I need coffee.

Yes, no need to use up the SWG's finite lifespan unnecessarily. And you'll want to continue to monitor the FC/CC and pH almost daily for a while, but the TA, CH and CYA can go a while between tests (unless you've changed something).

You know you can swim up to SLAM level, right?? GO enjoy that pool!

Maddie :flower:

I had read that but was so focused on testing and adjusting as often as possible I thought I might delay!
I will check the PH as soon as possible mine always seems to raise on me. Before the slam I used acid and will but likely use the dry stuff until it’s gone which is soon and I really want to get my TA down. The slam took precedent though. I will also check cya as I understand the slam can change it. Goal is now 70 CYA and about 7 FC. Very interested to actually track my daily chlorine consumption.

Only water additions will affect your CYA level unless you used Dichlor.

Knowing the TA and CH of your fill water will help you predict the effects of water additions to make up for evaporation, splash out or back washing. Test it once and make a note.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi again guys. Hectic few days, admittedly haven’t tested fill water yet but WILL do it.

Question. Seems my cya dropped during slam? Is this normal? I’m topping up slowly to get back to 70 but seemed to be in the 50 area. I’ve read on this test yet still have zero confidence with it! But wife and I both agree around 50-60. Adding 10oz dry stabilizer.

Backwashing will eventually reduce the CYA. The test itself is at best +/-10 ppm. So adding some back is a good idea.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.