I think filter is to small

Dec 30, 2016
Middle TN
I am getting my new pool up and going.....I have a 18x36 w/8' deep....approx 26,000 gallons. I currently have a 2 HP single speed motor with 88gpm flow rate. I have a 24" sand filter.

pool has two main drains, two skimmers and two jets with 3 waterfalls.....I did put on a larger pump so that we could use waterfalls when we wanted to (I have shut off valves on all jets,mandrains, skimmers etc..)...all plumbing is 1.5"

my concerns is that I can not get my pressure over 5 psi on filter....when I backwash - I have -0- pressure and not a lot of water comes out....I am concerned I am not properly filtering water

I am thinking of maybe going to a 30" sand filter.....OR.....the local 2nd hand store has a brand new Pentair cartridge filter 520sq/ft....I was able to get them down to about 550.00 on it....

Something is very wrong.

0 psi would equate to a LOT of GPMs The lower the head [back pressure], the more water can freely move given the same pump RPM.

So, I'd first question the accuracy of the gauge. If little water is moving, the gauge would read high, especially since you probably have a new efficient, and powerful pump.

I recently updated to a Quad DE filter. It is, for me, the best of both worlds. It is easy to clean, and only needs cleaning once or twice per year, like a cartridge filter, yet it filters down to the tiniest particulars [like the best DE filters], so my water is ridiculously clean and clear. Finally, the flow rate is awesome; i.e., very low back pressure, so I can run my pump slowly and save on power.

Having said that, I'd first diagnose your problem. You may have a bad gauge, and with a good gauge, you may find you have excessive pressure that may be caused by an obstruction. Wouldn't it be a bummer if all you needed to do was to clear a blocked pipe and buy a new gauge?

I recommend the metal liquid filled gauges from TFTest kits. Really nice, and a good price.

Couple of pics of your equipment layout could help. Otherwise, how do you know your pumping 88gpm? A 24in. Sand filter is 3.1sq ft., and the max flow rate is around 60gpm. 1 1/2 pvc is rated around 45-50 gpm, so just increasing your filter won't improve the hydraulics in your system.

9deb114f1bf9b9ab4bf3592e44f771f9.jpg
af9d4a5df5358171c8b5f89c10edeb2f.jpg

I have installed new Guage-I get readings otherwise just no reading when back washing or rinsing

The manufacturer states that 88 gpm is the flow rate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I am getting my new pool up and going.....I have a 18x36 w/8' deep....approx 26,000 gallons. I currently have a 2 HP single speed motor with 88gpm flow rate. I have a 24" sand filter.
88 GPM is the maximum flow rate without any plumbing. Never achievable in a typical setup.

my concerns is that I can not get my pressure over 5 psi on filter....when I backwash - I have -0- pressure and not a lot of water comes out....I am concerned I am not properly filtering water
Is this on high speed or low speed?

But more importantly, an even larger filter than you have now would decrease pressure further, not increase it. It sounds like to me that you have a very efficient plumbing system. Given you have multiple suction lines and return lines, this is not inconceivable. Were all lines open with 5 PSI?

What is the model # of the filter and multi-port valve?

Also, in the picture all the valves appear to be off?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You should not need to close the valves to hold prime. That means you have an air leak somewhere.

When running the pump, do you see air in the pump basket?

I know I have a very small leak on top of pump it will drip every 30 seconds or so...

There is very little air bubble inside basket when the pump is running....no air bubbles come out of jets...

I have had concerns about my muliport since I opened it....I had to put in a valve on the waste port becuase it would slowly leak water while filtering

The spider gasket looks good....

Thought about maybe getting a Hayward multiport and throwing away the current one

It is an odd looking valve. Normally, the inlet and the outlet are on the same side of the valve. Are you sure they plumbed that correctly?

Also, that valve could be the air leak. Sometimes those seal when the pump is on but leak when it is off.

I'm pretty sure that you have it plumbed incorrectly. The line from the pump usually goes to the highest port so that water goes in on top of the diverterer and pushes it down.

Look near the ports. One should say "pump" and one should say "return ".

It is an odd looking valve. Normally, the inlet and the outlet are on the same side of the valve. Are you sure they plumbed that correctly?

Also, that valve could be the air leak. Sometimes those seal when the pump is on but leak when it is off.
I'll be a monkey's uncle! ......I just went and looked at it and it is plumbed wrong!!![emoji15] ....that makes a lot of sense now lol...

Weird how it would operate like it did...

guess these various concerns I have been having with pump all make sense now....(low pressure, losing air when turned off, not filtering good, no pressure on backwash etc..)

You guys rock!!!! I will get it fixed tomorrow and post my outcome....

Thanks again!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.