Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool company had the pace plate off my skimmer just a week or so ago to caulk around it. I cleaned it. I did not notice any of this. My pool is crystal clear and I’m not having and demand issue on my chlorine but look at that nasty! I want to pull it out. Is there a product I ac use to reseal or recaulk while under the water line?

IMG_1042.jpegIMG_1043.jpegIMG_1044.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
What exactly are you wanting to pull off? The outer faceplate? It should come off with some careful prying. You may need to spread those tabs and go slow (back & forth) as it may be stuck a bit from when it was first installed. The silicone under it is what keeps the seal around the skimmer.

On the plus side, it looks like a standard issue silicone/caulk mold, so it should stay put and not infect the pool.

What exactly are you wanting to pull off? The outer faceplate? It should come off with some careful prying. You may need to spread those tabs and go slow (back & forth) as it may be stuck a bit from when it was first installed. The silicone under it is what keeps the seal around the skimmer.
But do you see all the black yuck growing on it? I feel I need to cut it out and recaulk it.

But do you see all the black yuck growing on it? I feel I need to cut it out and recaulk it.
I would carefully remove the outer trim plate, then gently brush the area with a water/bleach mixture. If you try to cut/replace the sealant you could create more problems that you want.

Ooooooh. Now I do. All i saw before was along the bottom, and that's trapped between the silicone and the skimmer.
I am so perplexed. I so t recall seeing any of this at opening. Again, he had play off to seal up skimmer that seamed to be leaking. The clearish silicone is new I think. Which is why I can’t figure out how it is moldy. Then the caulk above the water line is so grosse. So really, you don’t think I should remove this?IMG_1043.jpeg

Then the caulk above the water line is so grosse. So really, you don’t think I should remove this?
I would be concerned with the above gunk because it's external. Once I was already fixing that, I'd replace the bottom part too.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can you recommend the product? And is there a product I can apply under water ?
I wouldn't have the foggiest. If possible, find one that's mold/mildew resistant like bathroom caulks. Not that they stay resistant for long, but every little bit helps.

Hang tight, someone will know. Maybe @JamesW.

I wouldn't have the foggiest. If possible, find one that's mold/mildew resistant like bathroom caulks. Not that they stay resistant for long, but every little bit helps.

Ok. Hopefully someone can tell me. I have found the BOSS 801 product. But want to pick the right product!!

@JamesW any advice? I’m getting anxious. I e started tearing out this nasty and I need a product suggestion.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.