I should’ve paid more attention in Chemistry class.

BeachBum21

May 21, 2020
Saint Petersburg, FL
I promise to keep it as brief as possible! I’ve already battled and won against the dreaded algae (thanks for all the SLAM info!), so I’m trying to be proactive and stay on top of my numbers. And they’re really weird.

The bottom of the pool definitely had a slightly slippery feel to it this morning (ew) and it’s a little hazy. Rather than wait for a problem, I thought I’d reach out for some advice!

So, what’s my main priority here? Chlorine? Alkalinity? Both? Neither?

For the record, I’ve been brushing nearly every day and watching my numbers. Some rain a few days ago, but no torrential downpours .

FC-0.8
pH- 8.0
TA- 160
CYA- 40

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Attachments

• AE115F7A-4E81-4171-8942-0B1F99E1CD70.png
    AE115F7A-4E81-4171-8942-0B1F99E1CD70.png
    72.8 KB · Views: 8
BB21,

You problem is not Chemistry, it is Math..

With an FC of .8 you may as well plant a sign in your front yard saying "Algae party today"

You need to keep your CYA and FC in the proper relationship.. See this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Show me any FC of of .8 :poke:

I can't even spell Khemistry and if I can do this, so can you.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

:laughblue:I like your style!
Well, I suppose I’ll have to cancel my algae party for the day, darn it. And I even got balloons!?

Kidding, of course- and thank you for pointing me to the chart! I truly appreciate the help. Off to check my handy Pool Math calculator and see how much bleach to add. Should I be concerned with TA or pH right now?

Thanks again!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I would add enough acid to get down to 7.2 - and if you have the slippery feel and hazy water then algae is already starting. Time to SLAM again!

When you're done with the SLAM, be sure you test daily for a while and add chlorine as needed. A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it pretty often (daily or every other day) to make sure it's fed enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.