I need HELP

It is difficult for the pool store to give an accurate reading on the CYA test. That test should be read outside in full sun, with the sun at your back and the viewing tube held at waist level.

And they're going to recommend a bunch of stuff you don't need because they make lots of money off of it. Clarifier, phosfree, etc, etc, etc,.

I went to the pool store when I first bought my house/pool with the prior owner. $600 tab.

I'm doing it myself this year for about $50.

Well I know it's against everyone's better judgement but I'm going to the pool store tomorrow and let them test my water and see what they recommended off those numbers. Then I am coming back and putting that info on this thread and see what you all say.
This is going to sound blunt....it's not intended to offend but inform.

The pool store will tell you "X"....we will tell you "Y". Now, what are you going to do?

X + Y won't work because they most always conflict. Since you are not comfortable with X, then you should take the Y advice, correct?

You are going to end up in the middle and have no idea where to turn. We see it time and time again. You should choose our advice or the pool stores and stay with it. Both can work.....our methods always work and their's do sometimes.

That may come across a little cocky but, if it does, you haven't read enough on this forum to understand that what we teach is solid science and the methods we suggest are irrefutable.

daddrcreswell,

I am a new pool owner as of last summer and sorta of an anal person when it comes to details. I listened to the pool store upon construction and then found this forum. The FIRST thing I did was buy the test kit and start recorded every single test I did on an excel spreadsheet so I would have a record of the test and also recorded what actions I took if any. We had an enjoyable first season of swimming and them closed the pool. I put a solid cover on it (3k) and nearly fainted on the price. I just opened it up two days ago and it literally looked just like it did when I closed it except for a few leaves that blew in the pool. The pump has been running 24/7 since opening and I was told wait 48 hours before doing anything. I let the pool store open it because I did not know the procedure and they put some bottles of junk in it. I cannot wait to get home today and break out my test kit and see where I am because my water is as clear as a mountain stream.

One thing I would do is either go with the forum advice or pool store one. I mention some of the things to the pool store guys that I learned on here and they said that wouldn't work I would need to buy there chemicals. I guess they didn't think I could read the ingredients of both. Good Luck but whichever way you decide stick with it.

Good advice, I was hoping there was a combo way of doing it, I know I need to order the kit. I guess I am going to have to get one. In 2 weeks I've dropped 250.00 on chemicals, just spent 60.00 this morning on 4 bags of burnout and flak I think it was called. I know you all are going to tell me that had I already had my test kit, that would have paid for it and I wouldn't have had to buy the chemicals. Main reason I deal with the PS is because I'm lazy I guess, or more stubborn than I thought I was. So everyone is telling me that if I buy the test kit, I can get away from the PS? So my question is, what replaces these things I buy from the PS?
1. Burnout $3.49 1lb bag I have bought 16 bags so far 3.75*16= 60.00
2. Banish (Algae) 1 bottle 30.00
3. Backup (weekly Algae) 22.00
4. Chlorine, I know regular bleach will take care of this.
5. Chlorine tablets. 22.00

If you're going to do it our way, take everything back.

You should never need any type of algaecide, and liquid bleach will replace every dry chlorine product Bioguard sells.

To late, I've bought it and it's in the pool. They sold me PowerFloc this morning. I've already put the 4 bags of burnout in, and in an hour I am putting the powerfloc in and recirculate the pool for 2 hours, then shut the pump off and cross my fingers that the Powerfloc does it's job and pulls everything to the bottom and then vacuum everything to waste. I have made up my mind to go the TFP way, but I'm using what I've got right now, and get the pool clear then I'm getting the kit and going at it. I am going to get my wife to read everything tonight on here, she will understand it better than me, I tend to skim everything I read.

To late, I've bought it and it's in the pool. They sold me PowerFloc this morning. I've already put the 4 bags of burnout in, and in an hour I am putting the powerfloc in and recirculate the pool for 2 hours, then shut the pump off and cross my fingers that the Powerfloc does it's job and pulls everything to the bottom and then vacuum everything to waste. I have made up my mind to go the TFP way, but I'm using what I've got right now, and get the pool clear then I'm getting the kit and going at it. I am going to get my wife to read everything tonight on here, she will understand it better than me, I tend to skim everything I read.

Dude.... seriously. You were getting good advice here. You just blew more money and time, not only your time but our time.

Have fun and good luck.

Let us know when you order the TF-100 and are readying to stop throwing hundreds at your pool.

Good advice, I was hoping there was a combo way of doing it, I know I need to order the kit. I guess I am going to have to get one. In 2 weeks I've dropped 250.00 on chemicals, just spent 60.00 this morning on 4 bags of burnout and flak I think it was called. I know you all are going to tell me that had I already had my test kit, that would have paid for it and I wouldn't have had to buy the chemicals. Main reason I deal with the PS is because I'm lazy I guess, or more stubborn than I thought I was. So everyone is telling me that if I buy the test kit, I can get away from the PS? So my question is, what replaces these things I buy from the PS?
1. Burnout $3.49 1lb bag I have bought 16 bags so far 3.75*16= 60.00
2. Banish (Algae) 1 bottle 30.00
3. Backup (weekly Algae) 22.00
4. Chlorine, I know regular bleach will take care of this.
5. Chlorine tablets. 22.00

Burnout - No clue what it is.
Banish - Proper chlorine levels will keep the algae out.
Backup - Proper chlorine level will keep the algae out.
Chlorine tablets - Bad side effect. Adds CYA with every tablet. Use liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The manual for my circupool SWG says dilute 6 oz Muriatic Acid in a quart of water and pour it in the cell and let it soak for no more than 10 minutes. Personally, I'd find the manual online and see what it says. Probably the same, but to be safe follow their directions.

As Dave said Pool Store or TFPC. You'll get further along at TFP and the method (TFPC) here than you will at the Pool Store. And you want a lazy way out? I don't even have to get up to go to the pool store. I just roll over on my raft! I'll get my bleach when I go grocery shopping... cuz I'm lazy like that! :mrgreen:

Thanks, aside from one person everyone has been very cool and helpful. HI my name is Josh and I am a Pool Store user! I will in the next week or so work to get away from the PS. Please bear with me along this journey and the 12 step program. Thanks. I've got to go to Home Depot and I'll grab some Murica Acid when I do. I see they have 2 gallons for 13.00. PS sells same thing in 32oz for 12.99.

This what I need from HD?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Smart-2x1-Gallon-Muriatic-Acid-2118-HD/100119310

Depends on the strength ... most hardware stores seemed to have switch to 15% muriatic acid (at least in the pool section). Personally, I actually get my MA at the pool store ... they still sell the 31% strength at a reasonable price ($11 for 2 gallons) ... that is all I buy there.

Depends on the strength ... most hardware stores seemed to have switch to 15% muriatic acid (at least in the pool section). Personally, I actually get my MA at the pool store ... they still sell the 31% strength at a reasonable price ($11 for 2 gallons) ... that is all I buy there.

The only thing I could find at HD was Green Wise MA, it didn't show what % it was so I didn't buy any, I'll run to pool store tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.