I need help please!! Raypack heater

Rainbow7

Jun 3, 2020
Orlando
Hi we have a new raypack Gas heater 336a and it’s been working great! Today my variable speed pump turned off when the heater was on and the heater shut off too. I’ve tried resetting the circuit, and turning on/off. The heater display is blank. I can see a dim light come on when powered in but that’s it. It’s also not turning on from the remote control....any suggestions please? TIA

Thank you so much! You give us hope :) Is the "reset button" you are referring to called the Program Mode Button (SW1)? Also, any info to help us get started in testing the hi-limits? We have the automatic hi-limit Polymer header....(not ASME) we have a volt meter as well. Just not sure how to check it. Also we pressed the mode button and up arrow for 7 seconds like the manual suggest, but we still get no display at all, just a light.....I think our next step is to open it up and press the Program Mode Button on the circuit board? Would you agree? Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Ok thanks so much for pointing us in the right direction. Im going to continue to look for a video or something on testing the hi-low switches. I haven't found one yet....I really appreciate your time.

So I gave my hubby all the info. He said he jumpered across each limit switches and turned everything on and we still didn't get a display, just a light. We will pull in the morning to check continuity, but its dark now. Will update with progress. TIA

I forgot to mention that I also have a Jandy JI2000 and a pool side spa remote hooked up. Do you think it could have anything to do with the built in fireman switch? The sad thing is it's a brand new heater, we've just remodels our pool and bought the heater and its only been running about a month :-(( I'm just sick over it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The first thing to do is test the Hi-Limit switches for continuity. If one of those is tripped you won't get any power through them.

Hi there, so we tested the Hi-Limit switches. Both are good with continuity and showed 1.7 & 1.8 ohms. Also tested the rollout sensor, continuity 1.8ohms. We need to check the pressure switch and transformer now, but its raining. Still noticed back lighting is coming on in display when unit is "on" but still no numbers/letters.

How do I test the circuit board?

When the pump shut the flow of water down, it should have detected that and then killed the power, to prevent a melt down via the pressure switch....Where would it have killed the power from? the transformer or circuit board?

Any help is much appreciated!!

130volt each side coming in to the transformer on the 240 side, 28Volts coming out. DOes this sound OK? Or is this a problem?

Also replaced the 5 amp blade fuse on circuit board, did nothing.

Does this sound like the PC board failed? Anyway to test it??

Would changing the blade fuse to a 3 amp fuse or wiring inline a 3 amp fuse off the lowside of transformer to PC board help to prevent this type of problem in the future?
thank you

Adding a fuse probably wouldn't help depending on why the board failed. If it was a power spike that caused the failure, then a surge suppressor may help, but if it was lightning it likely wouldn't stop it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.