I just need other eyes to see this. Pool light.

RTamanda

Gold Supporter
Jul 25, 2011
Durant, OK
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Like, what even is this? Lime jello? Next to the bulb. Just bought this house. SLAMMING pool now. Pool light doesn’t work. Is it worth trying to save this fixture? Dry it out, new gasket and bulb? Or just count it as lost and replace the whole fixture? Looks like cord has been spliced before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    725.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.5 KB · Views: 31
That part of the wire under water looks like it was spliced. My guess is the previous owner tried to add a new light and either didn't understand how to do it (you don't break the wire and make a splice) OR they wire is stuck in the conduit some how and they spliced in a new light. Either way, an entirely new light needs to be pulled. You use the old light wire to pull the new light wire through the conduit.

Don't know what that gooey stuff is but considering the condition of the wire, who knows what the last owner did.

FYI - that light should be disabled at the breaker as it is a serious electrical safety hazard and no one should swim until a new light is pulled.

Reactions: Lanzz and JamesW
Can't tell for sure, but that looks like it might be a PacFab Hatteras fixture. If so, those are notorious for melting the potting compound at the back of the fixture, around the bulb socket. It melts into a sticky goo and runs to the front of the fixture. Eventually, the fixture starts to overheat and blow bulbs and/or leak from the rear.

My pool (built in 1996) still has two of these fixtures, but I'll replace both of them as soon as the bulbs fail. I've already replaced one due to the melting compound issue. A standard Amerilite fit perfectly in the niche.

Don't put any money into the fixture, replace it properly by pulling the wire. Underwater splice should only be attempted as a last resort if you can't get the cable through the conduit and ONLY if the lighting circuit is converted to 12v.

Reactions: RTamanda
Can't tell for sure, but that looks like it might be a PacFab Hatteras fixture. If so, those are notorious for melting the potting compound at the back of the fixture, around the bulb socket. It melts into a sticky goo and runs to the front of the fixture. Eventually, the fixture starts to overheat and blow bulbs and/or leak from the rear.

My pool (built in 1996) still has two of these fixtures, but I'll replace both of them as soon as the bulbs fail. I've already replaced one due to the melting compound issue. A standard Amerilite fit perfectly in the niche.

Don't put any money into the fixture, replace it properly by pulling the wire. Underwater splice should only be attempted as a last resort if you can't get the cable through the conduit and ONLY if the lighting circuit is converted to 12v.
This is a picture of the stickers

Attachments

• IMG_9792.jpeg
    IMG_9792.jpeg
    521.3 KB · Views: 6
Okay, so now let the fun begin! Apparently I’m now in the market for a new light fixture. What fun, maybe color changing LED do you all like that would fit the niche this came out of?