I just left Leslie's pool store - Very misinformed employee

I just saw the same thing at the Home Depot at McDermott and 75. It did seem pretty expensive, haven't run the numbers on it.

I went to Home depot last year to try to get some 2 packs of 10.5. They had a bunch of it that looked like it had sat there forever. It turned out to be over 6 months old. I went back this spring and that same stock was still sitting there piling up more dirt!

For folks in Canada I get "Purox" (Clorox's pool chlorine) 10.5% at Canadian Tire in 5 liter jugs for $5.69 - stock seems to be clean and fresh although I really need to remember to check the date code. They also have house-brand 10.5% same size for $4.99. Laundry bleach seems expensive by comparison.

I used the methods posted on here and really listened to the helpful advice of the moderators and senior memebers and my pool looks fantastic! A couple of my neighbors have pools and were like "dang!! that pool looks way better than mine....who's your pool guy??" hahaha....I just smile and say "you're looking at him". The only things I buy from Leslies are items for repairs (drain cover) or things for fun (out door beach themed clock, water toys)....just because they are about 3 blocks away. I don't even ask about chemicals when I go in there and I NEVER take them any water samples.

Well just let me add to this rather interesting thread. I am somewhat of a newbie, when we built our pool it was a dream come true for me! this is my third season. Last year i had (didnt know it at the time) Algae behind my light. This a a breakdown of how my pool store that built my pool helped me with this issue.
1 said i had phosfates add lots and lots of chemicals $400.00 DIDNT WORK
2 You have chlorine lock add 8 bags of this and 2 bottles of that $$200.00 DIDNT WORK
3 Now your chlorine lock is really bad, you need 18 bags of this.. $200.00
I WALKED OUT AND HAVE NEVER WENT BACK!! I sat at my pool and cried because I didnt understand why this was happening. THEN I FOUND THIS FORUM and with some very very good advise I learned to take control of my pool!!! Whoever said shout it from the rooftops that pool stores are a rip is right!!!!!!! I think it should be a law for any pool company that sells pools to inform a pool owner of how to maintain a pool correctly BEFORE they can sell. thank you very much. OH and God Bless TFP!! OH I probabally should add, the whole reason I couldnt get it under control is because my pool was overstablized CYA 90+ by the advise of the pool store!!!

This thread just kept reminding me of an old one from last year. Post 20

"Once I asked the pool store guy if all this Cal-Hypo "shock" he had me dumping in (Nearly 100 lbs in the last 6 weeks or so) would raise my calcium hardness too high, and he actually said "No, the calcium turns to chlorine. It won't affect your calcium hardness level."

Personally, if I knew a competent alchemist, I've have him turn chunks of scrap iron into Platinum or something. Forget that Calcium into Chlorine kid-stuff. :mrgreen:

We talked about Facebook, but all it would be would be telling people to go to the forum. No reason to duplicate everything there. After all, doesn't TFP show up for just about any pool related Google search?

You need to put a Facebook button on this website to like the Facebook page so more people will know when you post new content so they can share it with friends. You would have way more than 178 followers if you had a like button here. You also need to update the Facebook page to have a link to the TFP website. Send an admin email to all TFP users that you are starting a TFP Facbook campaign and would appreciate more followers and provide a link to the Facebook page.

After building your base of followers, start posting links to threads where common problems are solved, such as clearing a green pool, or why a pool keeps turning green when the FC is always kept @ 4+ but the CYA was way too high for that to be effective because the owner used tablets and used Di-chlor "shock" weekly. Maybe share a story about never needing to shock weekly if you maintain the proper level of chlorine. Share a link to stories about converting Intex pools to use regular skimmers, filters, and plumbing.

While TFP certainly gets a lot of traffic from people that want to fix their own problems, most people have a certain level of faith that their pool store is providing the best advice so they don't typically search the internet for a better answer to their problem. Basically, the only way to make these people aware that they are being ripped off is to put the information in front of their face, similar to the story in this thread.

I don't want you to duplicate any content, just start posting links to the content so we can share.

Sure, that all sounds nice ... but it also take effort from one of us that volunteers our time. Is our time better spent playing around on Facebook (and inevitably responding with "Go read Pool School" or "Go post your question on the forum" over and over and over again) or answering questions here from people that need help?

Bwahahah... I just spit up my drink while reading this. Hilarious indeed.

This thread just kept reminding me of an old one from last year. Post 20

"Once I asked the pool store guy if all this Cal-Hypo "shock" he had me dumping in (Nearly 100 lbs in the last 6 weeks or so) would raise my calcium hardness too high, and he actually said "No, the calcium turns to chlorine. It won't affect your calcium hardness level."

That might be about as good as it gets. Up here the 3 packs at sams and costco run $9.95. Aldi is a bit cheaper (per ppm) lower strength (6%) and smaller jugs (98oz) make it not worth the hassel though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's about the cheapest you're going to find. Walmart has 1.42 gallon 6% for $2.98 but it's getting harder to find them on the shelves of most Walmarts here...
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Bleach-1.42-Gal/13023480

They also sell a 5.25% for $2.50/gallon with free delivery for orders over $50. That's 20 bottles which isn't a bad deal since you don't have to worry about carrying all those bottles and you don't have to actually go inside a Walmart store.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pure-Bright-Disinfectant-Liquid-Bleach-128-fl-oz-Pack-of-4/23898648

Last year you could go to NAPCO at 2830 spring cypress rd. buy your carboy/drum there or bring your own and they will fill $3.28 per gallon of 10%. Not sure if they've gone up or not.

You would think we would have a bunch of chemical suppliers here with all the plants.

Mac4lyfe,
I'm also in Houston (Sugar Land) and been struggle to find decent price for chlorox, cheapest I've found so far is pack of 3 8.25% for about $8.50 at Costco, any other place you can find cheaper?

Sent from my Nexus 7 2013 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.