I just don't get it

Hi all,

I have been having trouble keeping my pool balanced all summer (here in Australia). It is a 32000 liter SWG pool.

My readings last night were as follows:

FC - 8.5
CC - 0
CYA - 85
PH -7.3
TA - 60
CH - 350
Salt - 5400
Pool temp - 30 degrees C (86F)

This morning, the FC has dropped to 3, but the CC is still zero.

I have been having this up and down FC chlorine level for months. My gut feel is to SLAM it - but the pool is crystal clear and the CC reading is zero.

Something is not adding up.

All help appreciated.

You can swim safely up to your SLAM level for your CYA. It does sound like a SLAM is in order with that kind of FC drop.

You can find that with a SWG you can have algae and it does keep it at bay with the regular addition of chlorine.

The sun burns off the CC's pretty quickly in summer.

My shortest SLAM was 2.5 days. The FC drops fast afterwards if you get a bright sunny day. My SLAM shock level was 20 ppm FC for 50 ppm CYA. When I got zero overnight loss, I stopped adding chlorine, and by the following day at noon it was down to 11 ppm FC (fine and hot both days). I swam throughout my SLAM, and nothing noticeable at all.

Using a shock level at the correct level for your CYA has less active chlorine in the water than a commercial pool at 1 ppm and no CYA.

Happy Australia Day :)

Absolutely! And a good plan during the SLAM.

- - - Updated - - -

and to be sure of your 5 ml measuring method, you can measure twice and pour into the CCL tube, to see if the line is at the bottom of the meniscus

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congratulations! It's terrific to get the SLAM into the past :)

Have you considered becoming a TFP supporter? It's a one-time modest donation that helps the volunteers cover the website costs. No pressure - you'll get great help either way, but is always very much appreciated :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.