I just discovered this wonderful place

I have one and I love it! It really helps cut down on the amount of Crepe Myrtle blossoms and oak leaves clogging up my skimmer.

Once you figure out where to drain your water, you can use your manual vacuum to drain from below the skimmer. You put the end of the vacuum hose down into the hole at the bottom of the skimmer and place the vacuum head on the other end of the hose. Drop it down into the water and turn on the pump with the filter set to waste. I would not drain more than 50% of the pool at a time, especially if you live in a windy area. You don't want to risk having the sides blow in on your above ground pool.

Alright, here's my pool store results. I won't have my K-2006 results until late next week.

FC: 4 ppm
pH: 7.2 ppm
TA: 120 ppm
CH: 400 ppm
CYA: 100 ppm

Edit: Also, I added 2lbs of pH increaser that was in the shed (as per instructions) and it doesn't seem to have affected the pH at all.

If your head didnt hurt too bad with my post about calculating drain levels equaling % reduction in CYA, you are nearly a nerd. If you have already started creating a spreadsheet to track the number of drains and depths necessary, you are indeed a nerd. :) I would suggest you drain into your yard via the waste outlet on the pool equipment- plan on having a splash block area to reduce damage at the point of pump output hose if you do that.

Otherwise you can drain via a smaller pump over the course of a couple of afternoons. Think Harbor Freight item number 68422 - 1300 gph = $59.00 and you can find 20% off coupons everywhere.

BTW, you probably want to start adding just shy of a gallon of 8.25% Chlorine to your pool each day. If your CYA level is truly at 100 and its a non saltwater generating pool it really needs a FC target north of 10 and a minimum of 7. Please see - http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

For 10% chlorine, go to Leslie's or Pinch a Penny. Your initial cost will be a little high because you have to pay a deposit for the jugs but after, it's about $5 for 2.5 gallons. I'm in Orlando but I doubt the price is much different up there. Also, carrying and tossing bleach jugs gets old fast. I prefer Pinch a Penny because they track your chlorine purchases and every 10 one is free. Leslie's requires that you keep up with a card.

In some areas, Ace Hardware also carries bulk chlorine but not that I can find in Orlando. I did happen into Ace last year when they had the 10% gallon jugs for $1.99. I have never caught that sale again. Honestly, once I found the pool stores, I stopped chasing the best bleach price.

So these didn't strike me as worrisome as they were there when I got the house 5 months ago and haven't changed since.. but yeah.. what are my options here?

DSC_0636.jpg

DSC_0637.jpg

The return fitting doesn't appear to be leaking at all during operation. I don't guess that counts for anything.

Those rust stains appear to be originating from the inside, but I suspect you know that already. Likely water is migrating under the liner at the jet and there is a potential small leak above a wall seam in the bottom picture. IMHO little to no good will come from treating from the outside. I have no suggestions on the best course of action. Best of luck with this issue, I'm sure someone will have some suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Poolskim delivered and installed!

20150402_175327.jpg

That thing gulps down water with vigor.

Any tips on finding a leak in a hose? My cleaner will stop working sometimes but all it takes is bringing in the hose until one spot (somewhere) gets submerged and then starts working again.

Pool drained to 50% this evening. The hose at full blast clocks in at a whopping 212 gal/hr putting us at 3pm... Wednesday afternoon.

Before test results:

pH: 7.1
FC: 5
CC: 0
CYA: 120-130
TA: 70
CH: 340

Edit: Good news, everyone! I found a different spigot that puts out twice as much water, dropping my refill time down to 18.5 hours or 3pm tomorrow!

Welcome Fleck!

These guys saved my sanity a few seasons ago. I was in the same boat as my CYA levels were above 150 by the time I realized my pool store was out of their league. I read as many posts as I could, followed the kind suggestions of this forum and have been happy ever since.

I really keep a close eye on my CYA levels, it seems to be the most common issue many have (at least those who do not follow this forum). Also, invest in a good test kit. I purchased the Taylor K2005 this season.

Looking good, boys. OCLT tonight.

7b8ea4f2657668260fc58db418c04144.jpg

Edit: Passed!

I seem to keep overshooting my bleach add. Tested last night at 5ppm, and added 6.5 cups of 8.25% bleach to hit 7ppm. This morning tested at 9.5 ppm, which is exactly what I hit with the first treatment from 2ppm. If I adjust the calc to match, it comes out to an 8k gallon pool.. which is less than half. And that's not even accounting for loss over the night.

I seem to keep overshooting my bleach add. Tested last night at 5ppm, and added 6.5 cups of 8.25% bleach to hit 7ppm. This morning tested at 9.5 ppm, which is exactly what I hit with the first treatment from 2ppm. If I adjust the calc to match, it comes out to an 8k gallon pool.. which is less than half. And that's not even accounting for loss over the night.

Water looks great! 18k gallons is definitely the right number for a 28' dia 4' deep pool. No idea why the calculations could be off so much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.