I have decided to get a heat pump...questions!

Hi everyone,

We have been using a diy solar coil system and solar blankets for years, but due to lack of sun (due to the position of our house and trees) and a preference for unreasonably warm water, our swim season has remained fairly short. I've decided to bite the bullet and just get an electric heat pump installed.

Question: I realize there are online calculators, etc, but in everyone's real-world experience, around how much will my electric bill be going up? Our water temp from June through August, with NO cover and no heat, generally tops out at around 76 degrees. We like it to be between 80 and 90. Temps here during summer range from high 50s at night to high 90s during the day. I realize everyone's situation is different, but if anyone could share their experience it would help me.

The calculators are probably your best estimate if no one responds...

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator to determine the appropriate size Heat Pump for your location. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

Raypak also has a Heat Pump Heater Sizing App.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh, natural gas price, and propane price to actual prices in your area.

Most heat pumps will only run 7-10 hrs a day if temp demand is high 85+ and will use on avg 5 kw per hour. During July and August I would be surprised if one ran 2-3 hrs in your location. You can do the math. 120,000 btu would do fine for your pool size and temperature targets.

Your question would be hard to answer. At the same time I start using my heat pump, I am also using my pool pump and the two AC systems on my house. I would need to track the run times on a daily basis and then make a calculation of the energy use. I'm not interested in doing that to make an estimate.

Hey Jennifer !!! A heat pump will work in your area better than it will for 3/4 of the country above you.

They work best with warmer weather above 70 and also need humidity. You aren’t in the most humid of places, but you aren’t anywhere near the most dry places either.

Your pool volume is also helpful for a HP at 15k gallons. It takes BTUs to heat gallons and with less gallons to heat you’ll see much better results. For comparison I had a 140k HP with 35k gallons and yours will work 2.333 times better than mine did.

If you go the HP route, understand it’s limitations. At or under 60 degrees out, it’s efficiency falls off a cliff. When the nights are cooler and the daytime highs are still 70, you can run it during the day and use a solar cover at night to retain some/most of that heat. But if the extended season is particularly cool any given year, it may struggle or fail altogether. You’ll have more good years than bad years in the long run.

Now, a gas heater will work well into the extended seasons and give you more months no matter what. If it costs more you will at least be getting something for your money, and it’s easier to swallow. But it’s drawback is it uses the same amount of Gas to maintain the already pretty warm water for the regular season. You won’t like paying the extra costs for 3X the BTUs when you only needed a little warmth to take the edge off on cooler days in May June July August and September.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.