I have a few issues with the TFP method...

rkeller62

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Aug 14, 2016
Rochester, NY
So, my saga started last summer we purchased a home with a 24' above ground pool. Having watched several neighbors struggle with keeping their pools clear while spending many dollars at the pool store I figured there must be a better way and my research led me to this site. Closed on the house and moved in labor day weekend 2016 and since there was only about a month left, at most, in our swim season (being in upstate NY) I "white knuckled" it with test strips and bleach. Managed to get through the season and properly close the pool.

Fast forward to 2017 and opened to a clear pool. Haven't decided to go all in on the TFP method, I had already purchased a Taylor K2006 and started off employing all the techniques I had read about on this site. Needless to say, I have been algae free and had a beautiful pool all season long. So what, you may ask could I possibly have issues with? Well, I have 3 main "complaints" that I will outline below.

IMG_20170624_134744123.jpg

1. TFP Clarity. As you can see, I have several very mature trees just behind my pool in my neighbors yard, with the prevailing winds always blowing tree stuff directly into my pool. Using the TFP method my water is so crystal clear I see every little piece of dirt and debris and am constantly having to clean it out of my pool so it doesn't make me crazy.

IMG_20170624_134754890.jpg

2. TFP Sparkle. My pool sparkles so much in the sunshine it makes it virtually impossible to vacuum up all of the dirt on my pool floor. Even with my very expensive polarized prescription sunglasses I can't see through the glare to properly see and vacuum the bottom. Unfortunately, the water is so clear (see issue #1) that in the odd moments the sun is not sparkling off my water I see each and every speck of dirt.

3. FPSMP. What may is ask is this. Well, it is "Fear of Pool Store Managed Pools" of course. Like me, I'm sure all of you had your skin crawl a little at the thought of getting into someone elses cloudy pool store managed pool water.

Of course I could always fix issues 1 and 2 by simply taking water for a free analysis at my local pool store and then using whatever they recommend to "fix" my water problems, but then my wallet would be much lighter and I'd have issue 3 to deal with.

Anyway, thanks for the awesome site and giving me an easy science based approach to handling my first pool. You guys are awesome!

Birth of a Pool Snob
attachment.php

I understand #3 perfectly. I won't get into a hotel pool. We took a cruise last summer, and I never once set foot in the pool, and only used the hot tub reluctantly. It makes my skin crawl.

Well I think I have found the right place!
Just managed to get the slide water running by thorough basket and filter cleaning.
Now it's time to admit my dependance on the local pool supply store.
There. I am starting to feel better already!
I have just joined and it's about time.
Evertime I "google" a pool or spa question, there is a good chance I end up here anyway.
I will be settling in for some reading and look forward to having the above 3 complaints.
Many thanks to the experts who share their insight.

This makes my heart smile! :sun: THANKS!

I had a smile on my face the whole time while reading your "problems" with TFP! You did that purrfect hehe

Okay slowlsider.......now it is time for you to start your own thread so we can help you have the same problems as rkeller!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

I LOVE reading these posts!
We have had a pool for the past 10 years (multiple pools).
I struggled with algae blooms every year, until I came here, and learned WHY it happened!
I told the wife that there had to be "something" I was missing, so we are going to change our pool maintenance DRASTICALLY!
I have followed the directions offered here...
I got the test kit, and followed the directions found here ... SLAMed my pool to get rid of the green water, (With the help of kimkats, and others) and have not looked back since!
That was 3 years ago, and we could not be happier!
I immediately donated to the site, and have done so every year since... I figure that they have saved me at LEAST 3X the money I have donated vs what I would have spent at the pool store, and my water has never looked better!
The methods taught here make sense, and use commonly available chemicals... Bleach, The CORRECT amount of CYA, and Muratic Acid... could not be easier!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I LOVE reading these posts!
We have had a pool for the past 10 years (multiple pools).
I struggled with algae blooms every year, until I came here, and learned WHY it happened!
I told the wife that there had to be "something" I was missing, so we are going to change our pool maintenance DRASTICALLY!
I have followed the directions offered here...
I got the test kit, and followed the directions found here ... SLAMed my pool to get rid of the green water, (With the help of kimkats, and others) and have not looked back since!
That was 3 years ago, and we could not be happier!
I immediately donated to the site, and have done so every year since... I figure that they have saved me at LEAST 3X the money I have donated vs what I would have spent at the pool store, and my water has never looked better!
The methods taught here make sense, and use commonly available chemicals... Bleach, The CORRECT amount of CYA, and Muratic Acid... could not be easier!
Great to hear that you donate so often! It certainly helps us keep the lights on and help others. Thank you very much!

RKeller, you got my attention! Man I clicked on this thread as soon as I saw it...... What could he mean? I thought to myself.

Great post and all true. There are days I would like to pretend I don't see that pine needle on the pool bottom. But there it is, no denying it. Ahhhhhh....... the good problems of the good life!

Take care,
Suz

LOL I am new to the method and feel the same.

When I go to the pool store I try to get in and out with my chlorine jugs because to watch all those poor saps at the test counter makes me sad. I want to yell out "step away let me tell you the truth"