I hate my pool

acombs1

May 31, 2019
Florence, ky
So I have been fighting pool since April.
Currently
Ph 7.2
Fc 4.5
Cc1
Alk 130
Ca hardness 140
Cya less than 30
Via Taylor k 2006
My cya was 100 so I drained and refilled by 50%.
I am adding 10% shock per the pool math calculator
The pool is a green swamp. I am so done.

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and are you familiar with the SLAM Process? Your chemistry is perfect to start the SLAM process. Your pH is 7.2 and CYA is 30 which works well. Proceed with SLAM. But follow it to the letter and ask questions along the way. Your pool will be clear when you finish the process. It will take from a few days to a few weeks. But don’t get discouraged. I’m not sure what your protocol has been so far, but the above is what will get your pool clear. I have 100% faith that if you follow the process you will succeed. But you will likely need more of the chlorine testing powder and drops. Order them now. Your kit didn’t come with a very large supply. You don’t want to run short in the middle of the process because you will just get delayed or set back which is obviously not something you want to have happen.

Can you also add to your signature to note the pool surface type? Vinyl, plaster or fiberglass? And also how you chlorinate your pool. SWG, pucks, bleach, etc. These will be helpful for all to know as we assist you.

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and are you familiar with the SLAM Process? Your chemistry is perfect to start the SLAM process. Your pH is 7.2 and CYA is 30 which works well. Proceed with SLAM. But follow it to the letter and ask questions along the way. Your pool will be clear when you finish the process. It will take from a few days to a few weeks. But don’t get discouraged. I’m not sure what your protocol has been so far, but the above is what will get your pool clear. I have 100% faith that if you follow the process you will succeed. But you will likely need more of the chlorine testing powder and drops. Order them now. Your kit didn’t come with a very large supply. You don’t want to run short in the middle of the process because you will just get delayed or set back which is obviously not something you want to have happen.
I have been trying to follow the SLAM. The cya was to high so it took me awhile to get it lower. I thought it was good so if course now it sucks. My pool looks worse than when it did when cya was “too high” . I at least had it to a cloudy white now it’s back to a green swamp

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have been trying to follow the SLAM. The cya was to high so it took me awhile to get it lower. I thought it was good so if course now it sucks. My pool looks worse than when it did when cya was “too high” . I at least had it to a cloudy white now it’s back to a green swamp
That’s ok, though not what you wanted. Now that your CYA is reasonable the process is easier. Keep the FC at SLAM level as frequently as possible. Every few hours at first then at least twice a day after you are making progress.

You got it even lower than 30 then. Is it cloudy at all?

So to clear this green pool..............the SLAM will clear it. Here are the basic HAVE to dos!
-leave pump/filter running 24/7
-brush at least once a day, twice if you can
-Test and dose at least 4 times a day. 1 when you get up in the morning, 2 when you get home in the afternoon, 3 just after dinner, 4 right before bed. Now if someone could come in at lunch time or so that would be great but know your pool can clear with the 4 times a day.

What you can do to keep yourself sane during this time..........take a pic looking down at your steps. Take the same pic each day. Your eyes will not see the changes but the pic will show all of us the progress you are making!

You CAN do this! Will it be fun? Nope but once it is done you will love your pool! It will be easy once you get it all cleared up!

Now go take a pic and share it here so we can see what you are dealing with!!!

Kim:kim:

Its pretty dark so the pic might not be the best
Free chlorine is 19
Cc .5
Cya 35
Alk 120
Ca hardness 125.
Didn’t check ph because ca was high.
We have been adding shock 2 x day and brushing and back washing the filter a three or four times a day

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 24
Is that looking any better yet? I don’t think we had a before picture. Even for you, it’s best to take a picture at the steps looking down every day in similar light. Then you can see small improvements which will give you motivation.

When you mention shock, are you referring to liquid shock (i.e. 12.5% sodium hypochlorite)?

Only backwash the filter when PSI is 25% above your clean PSI. (ex, if clean PSI is 16 don't backwash until PSI gets to 20).
Also, CYA if the dot disappears between 30 and 40, call it 40. Best way to do the test is to have your back to the sun, add sample to the tube up to the 100 line, hold the tube at your waist, glance in (don't stare), do you see the dot, if so, then add until you're at the 90 line... repeat stopping at each mark until the dot disappears. You can pour the sample water back into the mixing bottle to repeat the test.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.