I had a major "oops" when winterizing above ground pool NEED HELP

Hardrock21

Sep 24, 2019
Springfield, MO
Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I've followed the tips here and purchased the TFT recommended chemistry test kit, added chemicals and had a pretty trouble free season with my above ground 27' pool. I'm only a 2 year pool owner (the 1st year was terrible.)

I winterized my pool on Thursday. Went by the book. Measure CYA (45ish) brought chlorine level up to "shock Level." Winterized pump, drained filter, disconnected hoses, covered pool, blah blah blah. Here's where I messed up, I unplugged the submersible pump I was using to lower the water level and without thinking about it, I left the pump in there...I'm sure you can guess the next part, but I went down there about 2 days later to clean up around the pool and to my dismay, the pool had siphoned almost completely empty!! There looks to be about 10-12inches of water in the bottom when I peeked under the cover and the liner appeared to still be fully stretched against the walls without any shrinkage. At this point with everything shut down and disconnected, how do I safely get the chlorine level back up to survive the winter months? Some local stores do still have liquid shock in stock, but without an effective way to circulate it, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I've got a hose filling it back up at the moment.

You guys ready for the mic drop?!?! My house is under contract to sell on 10/21 and the house inspection is TOMORROW at 8am! My list of other, non pool things I have to address and clean before tomorrow is extensive so my time is extremely limited to mess with the pool. The new owners will be present with the inspector, so I need to make it look like a normal winterized pool so nobody is alarmed, but I also don't really want them to open it up in the Spring to a swamp! Need some tips ASAP.

Thanks,
Paul

Start water flow asap and add some chlorine once it is where you want it. You can add some chlorine and stir/mix it in with that pump that took all of the water out by leaving the hose in the pool so it moves the water pretty good.
Thank you for the response. Is it ok to do this with the cover still on it? It won't be any issue to put the pump on one side and run the discharge hose to the other.

Thank you for the response. Is it ok to do this with the cover still on it? It won't be any issue to put the pump on one side and run the discharge hose to the other.
That should work. This will be good circulation. You may want to test the FC every so often to ensure you keep up. For sure, your CYA will be lower so take that into account.

Even if you refilled it and did NOTHING chemically, it’s ok. You kept it from experiencing catastrophic failure (liner shifting, physical damage, etc). Opening up to a green pool in the spring is easily fixable. Just let the next owner know about TFP and the very helpful folks around here ....

Reactions: mariane and kimkats
Hello everyone, long time lurker here. I've followed the tips here and purchased the TFT recommended chemistry test kit, added chemicals and had a pretty trouble free season with my above ground 27' pool. I'm only a 2 year pool owner (the 1st year was terrible.)

I winterized my pool on Thursday. Went by the book. Measure CYA (45ish) brought chlorine level up to "shock Level." Winterized pump, drained filter, disconnected hoses, covered pool, blah blah blah. Here's where I messed up, I unplugged the submersible pump I was using to lower the water level and without thinking about it, I left the pump in there...I'm sure you can guess the next part, but I went down there about 2 days later to clean up around the pool and to my dismay, the pool had siphoned almost completely empty!! There looks to be about 10-12inches of water in the bottom when I peeked under the cover and the liner appeared to still be fully stretched against the walls without any shrinkage. At this point with everything shut down and disconnected, how do I safely get the chlorine level back up to survive the winter months? Some local stores do still have liquid shock in stock, but without an effective way to circulate it, I'm not sure if it's a good idea. I've got a hose filling it back up at the moment.

You guys ready for the mic drop?!?! My house is under contract to sell on 10/21 and the house inspection is TOMORROW at 8am! My list of other, non pool things I have to address and clean before tomorrow is extensive so my time is extremely limited to mess with the pool. The new owners will be present with the inspector, so I need to make it look like a normal winterized pool so nobody is alarmed, but I also don't really want them to open it up in the Spring to a swamp! Need some tips ASAP.

Thanks,
Paul
Hi Paul,
I was the recipient of a swamp pool this spring (previous owners did NOT winterize AT ALL), and we survived. Not ideal but it's not the end of the world. I know you're taking steps to get it back to good under the circumstances, but be reassured the hardware is the important part. Water can be addressed. It was an innocent mistake. Best of luck in your next phase of life!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.