I guess I had it with AquaRite. Recommendation for a different cell.

jeanft

Mar 17, 2016
Houston
Between the replacements of the Thermistor, the new boards, now it's the burn of the Molex 10 pin part with the same issue on the connector on the cell.
I will not be able to solder this thing myself even if I ordered both parts. What would be the best option for a 27000 gallon pool?

Do you have automation?
If so, we recommend using the same SWG as your automation.
If not, have a look at the Circupool RJ60+
We recommend a SWG that is at least 2 times your pool volume.

If you have something fry, it happens. If you've had multiple things fry on different occasions, I'd look into the root cause before replacing anything that will likely also fry.

Reactions: 1poolman1
I was told the issues were certainly created by bad rectifiers under the transformer.
It is doubtful that the rectifiers caused the problems.

In any case, Hayward is a good quality brand.

Sometimes parts overheat and burn due to a poor connection causing excessive resistance.

The amperage is in the 6 to 8 range and this can cause issues with poor connections.

The thermistor issue has mostly been solved with a relay that bypasses the thermistor after the initial startup period.

What salt level do you typically target? Higher salt levels leads to higher current which can shorten component life.

A typical failure mode for Molex and similar connectors is some slight imperfection in the connection: bit of grit, corrosion, or sometimes a pin or socket isn't fully locked in the plug block. When pushed together, the pin/socket then shifts backward, so it doesn't fully engage.

Whatever the imperfection, it causes resistive heating or (worse) arcing or both, especially when the pin is carrying a heavy-ish load (amps like the SWG). The result is a death spiral. Arcing makes carbon. Heat causes further corrosion. More heating/arcing follow. Rinse and repeat until everything melts and arcs into black goo.

The defenses are 1) use a good contact cleaner spray before plugging things together, particularly when RE-plugging an old connection and 2) after plugging, verify no pin backed out by inspecting all the stake-on connections at the connector's back. They should all be at the same level.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeanft
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.