I Don't Fully Understand SLAM Useage

Gebo

Bronze Supporter
Aug 23, 2023
VA
Even though I check my Chlorine "every" morning, I have found on a few occasions that the tube stays clear.
Not good. I confess...guilty. I will immediately add Liquid 10% chlorine to get it to 6 ppm. So, in my pea brain, I am under the impression that my
wife and I will be bacterial safer if I just go on and SLAM to 12 once a week as my CYA is 30. I am still learning how to adjust
and add liquid Chlorine for number of soakers and soaks per day. It's taking more chlorine than I expected to show pink the next morning.

There does seem to be conflicting info concerning SLAMing Hot Tubs. My pool math app shows it. I do somewhat understand if I never go below 1 why it may be
unnecessary but I do screw up from time to time. Is there something wrong with my brain? I want to be safe and my family to be safe. I feel safer SLAMing.
I have only been in this Hot Tub I purchased in November. I am scared of all the others.

When the sticky was written, spiking the FC once a week was the style of the time as many were only testing/treating when using the hot tub. Since then we've found that with keeping tabs on it, just like pools, shocking is only a 'as necessary' thing,

But like you said, it gets away from you at times and a quick SLAM (Shock Level and Maintain) gets it right back on track.

Reactions: Gebo and Mdragger88
The simple answer to part of your dilemma is to simply dose with more chlorine after each soak.

You want the fc level high enough to:
*Make up for your current bather load;
*Account for standby fc loss;
*Make it through to the next time you check the tub without falling below minimum for your cya;
&
* ideally have enough fc to get you through your next soak (this is most achievable when you’re using & dosing the tub frequently ie. Daily)
Bonus points if you can achieve the last one 😁
Let your testing be your guide.
Not sure what “pink” means (we like numbers)
but you never want fc to fall below minimum for your cya at any point or nasties will grow quickly 🤢
FC/CYA Levels
The amount of chlorine this takes to do all the things listed above may be anywhere from high target to slam level.

There’s nothing wrong with a proactive increase of fc to slam level but its not really necessary if adequate sanitation has been maintained (akin to taking a laxative on Fridays whether you need it or not as Jim says 🤣)
& if you’re depending on that weekly dose to keep things tidy & make up for neglect you’re behind the 8ball.
You want to be proactive every day - not simply reactive when there’s a problem.
Kinda like getting the food ready before dinner time instead of waiting until everyone is screaming that they’re hungry & trying to aquire food & fix it in a panic.
Simply put,
The spa eats constantly whether you use it or not - you gotta feed it accordingly or it will get angry lol 😂
Many are shocked <— pun intended ,
To learn how high the fc demand is in a spa. Unless you’re using something to feed the tub all the time (swcg, chlorine feeder) the fc level will not “hold” for any length of time like a pool. The water is too hot and the bather load is too great. It is its own little ecosystem in which the bacteria will take over quickly if not controlled by proper sanitation practices.
1 person in my 250 gal hot tub is the equivalent of 100 people in my 25000 gallon pool. It’s like one heck of a pool party for every use!

Reactions: Gebo and Newdude
The simple answer to part of your dilemma is to simply dose with more chlorine after each soak.

Not sure what “pink” means (we like numbers)
You want to be proactive every day - not simply reactive when there’s a problem.
I check my Chlorine every morning. Religiously. I just gotta add more liquid chlorine. Last night I added 3 oz 10% after my wife and I got out. It tested at 7 ppm this
morning. I have been adding 1 oz per person but I am gonna go up a little and see where we end up. Oh, the 7 is a little inflated as I added a little dichlor yesterday afternoon
to try and get my CYA from 25-30.

When I was saying "pink" it was just my reference no chlorine. Not even 1 ppm.

Bottom line, like you typed, I just gotta add a little more chlorine every evening after the last soak.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Now, to add one more question concerning SLAM. I thought you SLAMed to get rid of the chloramines. IF you don't SLAM, what happens to the chloramines that end
up giving us that chlorine smell? Do that magically disappear?

Now, to add one more question concerning SLAM. I thought you SLAMed to get rid of the chloramines. IF you don't SLAM, what happens to the chloramines that end
Having elevated cc’s (greater than 0.5) that persist is definitely one of the reasons to raise to slam level.
You should then maintain slam level until the cc level goes down.
Raising fc to slam level in the absence of cc’s doesn’t magically prevent them.
Example: I don’t generally have elevated persistent cc’s & I don’t prophylacticaly slam on some arbitrary schedule.
If they show up, treat them.
If raising to slam level for several rounds doesn’t reduce them to 0.5 or less then it’s probably time for a water exchange.
If you simply maintain sufficient fc all the time it’s generally enough to prevent their persistent presence until it gets around water exchange time.
Cc’s are going to happen as the chlorine breaks down bather waste, that’s just how it works. Their initial presence is to be expected but they should not persist if adequate fc is maintained.
Keeping the lid open for a bit after using the tub & dosing helps them escape.
“Airing out” the tub & exposing the water to uv from the sun occasionally is also helpful.

Reactions: Newdude

The suns UV will get rid of the chloramines. Leave your spa cover open once in a while and let your spa breath.

Also your profile says your spa has UV-C that will get rid of the chloramines.

Reactions: Mdragger88

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.