DFW
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
our pool was covered all winter and I’m just getting around to cleaning it.

This is like nothing I’ve seen before. It’s a swamp.
Besides the algae, which is going to require a tremendous amount of SLAM and magic, I can’t vacuum the pool more than 5 minutes before clogging up the pre-filter basket. I’m already on my 3rd pleated filter, and so far have only done the Baja ledge (8x7 rough guess).

This is my 3rd or 4th solar cover, I normally change them every spring, I’ve never seen one deteriorate this much, this fast (sun2solar). I can’t even see 2’ deep, but it appears there is so much muck and leaves, which is also unusual.
Also, the main breaker is tripping, so who knows how long the pump didn’t run for.
The only thing I’ve noticed is the wiring to the heat pump pressure sensor is chewed up in a few spots. Hopefully that’s the culprit.

What on earth do I do? Short of spending $500-1000 for an external vacuum, can I get an electric pump to hook up to my vacuum to start sucking all the debris out and replacing the water? It’s fiberglass so I can’t fully drain it, so it’ll be a long process.

Got the pool around 2019. Every spring I go in and spend 2 days vacuuming and balancing, and it’s crystal clear and holds chemistry very well all year.
I haven’t even tested the water yet as there is absolutely no point at this time.

A,

I just drained a 15K rent house pool to do some maintenance and then refilled it. It cost me about $75 bucks to refill.

If it costs more to buy chlorine than it does to drain and refill, then to me it makes no sense to do a SLAM

That said, I drained a gunite pool. I'd worry more about a fiberglass pool, but that does not mean you could not do it in stages. It would take more water, but the cost would not be that great.

Edit... You live in the DFW area.. Why would you close the pool at all. Seems to me the little effort it takes to run the pool in the winter is a lot less than the effort to bring it back after being closed. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

A,

I just drained a 15K rent house pool to do some maintenance and then refilled it. It cost me about $75 bucks to refill.

If it costs more to buy chlorine than it does to drain and refill, then to me it makes no sense to do a SLAM

That said, I drained a gunite pool. I'd worry more about a fiberglass pool, but that does not mean you could not do it in stages. It would take more water, but the cost would not be that great.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, I was so frustrated I didn’t google deep enough.

Looks like an above ground pool pump and in-line canister filter will be the ticket. Hardest part will be matching all the fittings to my hoses.
Probably tackle 1/3 at a time or so. I’ve brought it down to 1/2, I forget why. One of my levels was way out of wack.

A,

Edit... You live in the DFW area.. Why would you close the pool at all. Seems to me the little effort it takes to run the pool in the winter is a lot less than the effort to bring it back after being closed. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I use the term “close” loosely. Just means I leave the cover on and forget about it. Pump runs on schedule (unless the breaker trips 😑).

With the heat pump, the spa is inoperable during the winter. One day we’ll upgrade to propane.

I’ve never seen one deteriorate this much, this fast (sun2solar)
Regarding the solar cover, mine always breaks down after 4 months of heavy use (taking it off/on after every swim and to put in chemicals/brush. This year I actually bought 2 covers so I can continue with the second one and use it for the whole summer. I contacted Sun2Solar last year because there was a 3 year warranty, but turns out it’s a scam. The warranty doesn’t cover the bubbles popping. It only covers the seams tearing which is not a huge issue.

I use the term “close” loosely. Just means I leave the cover on and forget about it. Pump runs on schedule (unless the breaker trips 😑).

With the heat pump, the spa is inoperable during the winter. One day we’ll upgrade to propane.
Hmm was your SWG producing chlorine during the winter? Maybe it turned off during the low temperatures and thus the algae?

Regarding the solar cover, mine always breaks down after 4 months of heavy use (taking it off/on after every swim and to put in chemicals/brush. This year I actually bought 2 covers so I can continue with the second one and use it for the whole summer. I contacted Sun2Solar last year because there was a 3 year warranty, but turns out it’s a scam. The warranty doesn’t cover the bubbles popping. It only covers the seams tearing which is not a huge issue.
I had 2 or 3 replacements , they. Or ally do split down the seams after a year
Hmm was your SWG producing chlorine during the winter? Maybe it turned off during the low temperatures and thus the algae?
I never checked it. It shouldn’t have turned off during low temperatures. It never has before, at least.

dang, I started this 4/22. FINALLY got it cleared up today.
Tried 2 above-ground pumps to siphon the pool and could never get them primed. A US Extreme Power or whatever and a Hayward.
Got a pond pump and that did the trick. Ran it for an hour or so and it drained a good 1.5ish feet. Went to church and came home and the pool was almost empty. I almost lost my mind (fiberglass pool).
Refilled it and all the muck had concentrated to one side of the bottom, and the water was relatively clear.
Get to vacuuming and still can't do it. Pump basket fills up, went through about 4-5 pleated filter changes.

Started looking at robot vacuums (in general, not for this) and saw a funny photoshopped advertisement of a guy with PVC pipe on his pumps output. I thought to myself why on God's green earth have I not thought of that yet?
Ran to home depot and picked up a 2" male NPT x 1.5 slip, an elbow, and a 1.5 female slip to 1.5 female npt. Already had the 1.5 npt pool hose adapter. hooked it up to my spare hose and went to town.
Mind you - this was less than 1/2 the pool floor - I STILL had to stop 60% of the way because the pump basket filled with algae and leaves. I have never seen so many leaves in a pool as I have that past month.

Topping it off now. Between yesterday and today, I've dumped about 12 gallons of chlorine in. Once it's filled, I'll give it another quick scrub down and run the pump for a bit before I put in a new cartridge filter and my working salt cell (I've been running with my defunct t-3 this whole time).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.