I didn't open my pool last year and I'm considering converting from Bromine to Chlorine.

Jul 21, 2017
Grand Rapids
I'll get right to my questions with more explanation below if you've got the patience to read it ...

1) I didn't open my pool last year and I'm considering changing from bromine to chlorine. I understand the pool will behave like a bromine pool (which means I shouldn't add CYA and I should use the bromine target levels) until the bromine levels get low enough. How can I tell if the bromine levels are low enough?
2) If I buy a new dispenser (I need one anyway) and just start using chlorine, is this dangerous in any way? I presume not, but seems reasonable to ask.
3) The pool is very cloudy. I suspect there are still significant leaves in it. What's a smart course of action from here? I feel like I need to get 99.99% of the solids out, but at this point I can't see them.

Thanks! Here's my story:

I opened up the pool, added water, and my daughter added the opening chemicals I bought from the pool store. I think it included an algicide, stabilizer, and super chlorinator. There were three bottles, all about 32 ounces of stuff. The pool had some leaves on the bottom and algae spots. I was afraid if she added the chemicals I'd have a cloudy mess and I'd never be able to get the leaves out. Now I have a cloudy mess, and suspect (because I can't see the bottom of the pool) leaves in the bottom of the pool.

I do have a special net type of thing that attaches to a hose that catches leaves fairly well. Trouble is, without being able to see anything I think it'll be near impossible to get all of the solids out.

I've used bromine in the past. But I never opened the pool last year, and I have no bromine now. I'm considering using chlorine instead. I understand that bromine changes to bromide when it gets used up and turns back into bromine when chlorine is added.

I found this here: What you can do right away is stop using bromine tabs and start using chlorine to reactivate the bromine. You will still have a bromine pool, but it won't cost nearly as much. The key is that there is bromine in the water, so it will behave like a bromine pool and you should use the bromine target levels and not add CYA.

Eventually someday the bromine level will get low enough so you can start treating it like a chlorine pool, which means different target levels and less total chlorine added. But that will probably be a year to three years from now.

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Unless your water is prohibitively expensive, a full drain/refill or water exchange would get rid of the bromine. Otherwise, to my knowledge, it will be tough to manage.

Reactions: StevePupel
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.