I am closing my pool Friday!!!

tomorrow our high in Ohio is suppose to be 69...whats that about. today was about 70 but, the kids still swam. Our water has been around 84. All next week looks pretty cool low 80. I bet my husband will be glad to have the cool weather (he will be home from Iraq in a few weeks)....he will probably think its freezing here :)

chris

I grew up in Minnesota in the 1970's. Does anyone remember how excited everyone was about "Nuclear Winter" back then? The entire planet was going to turn into a giant ice ball because of nuclear power plants, so everyone all over the world had to stop building them?
Anyways, I am in Texas now, and I could not have imagined heat like this as a kid in Minnesota. We never had a pool- we just went to the lake. In Texas, the lakes are scary, and I cannot believe it took us so long to get a pool. We have been in heaven this summer.
My foster-parents are Texans several generations back. They have an old saying- "In Texas, there are 4 seasons- Almost Summer, Really Summer, Late Summer, and Christmas."

chrisa said:
tomorrow our high in Ohio is suppose to be 69...whats that about. today was about 70 but, the kids still swam. Our water has been around 84. All next week looks pretty cool low 80. I bet my husband will be glad to have the cool weather (he will be home from Iraq in a few weeks)....he will probably think its freezing here :)

chris

I hope for safe travels for your husband!

My great Aunt flew in from New Mexico for what was supposed to be a 2week visit, it ended up being a 9day visit and the entire time she was wearing her sister's jacket complaining about how cold it was! :roll:

chrisa said:

chris

Chris...Tell your husband thanks for his dedicated service. When I think of all the idol worshiping of sports and movie stars...He is a star. I hope there are lots of people who turn out to greet him. Your husband and all the men and women serving are true heros. Give him a hug from America. Then I hope it is warm enough that he can just lounge in the pool for about 48 hours!!! :party:

amjohn said:
I grew up in Minnesota in the 1970's. Does anyone remember how excited everyone was about "Nuclear Winter" back then? The entire planet was going to turn into a giant ice ball because of nuclear power plants, so everyone all over the world had to stop building them?
Anyways, I am in Texas now, and I could not have imagined heat like this as a kid in Minnesota. We never had a pool- we just went to the lake. In Texas, the lakes are scary, and I cannot believe it took us so long to get a pool. We have been in heaven this summer.
My foster-parents are Texans several generations back. They have an old saying- "In Texas, there are 4 seasons- Almost Summer, Really Summer, Late Summer, and Christmas."

yeah, I remember as a kid in the 70s and 80s schools were all a buzz about the coming ice age. I for one believe that weather is cyclical...and when you go through heating the earth cools itself in one way or another. However, I keep forgeting that 1/2 the country is dealing with unbearable heat...while we in the upper midwest and northeast are complaining about it being too cool...Go figure...

PachinkoPlayer said:
I hear ya cubbybeave08, I am south of you and for being a first season pool owner, this summer down right STINKS!!! :rant:

Why couldn't we have this kind of weather 30yrs ago when AC was a luxury?

tell me where Loogootee is. I am not familiar with that...of course I have never been south of Indianapolis so if you in the southern half...I wouldn't know much.

cubbybeave08 said:
tell me where Loogootee is. I am not familiar with that...of course I have never been south of Indianapolis so if you in the southern half...I wouldn't know much.

Basically it is a small hick/farm town. We are big enough to have a Mc. Donalds and a Wendy's. Also a Dominos Pizza, (thanks to me... lol) but we are still small enough that we wave to strangers and very hard to get lost, unless you turn off on a gravel road.

100miles south of Indy, um, 230miles southwest of FT. Wayne.

We usually have warmer temps here compared to Indy and further North.

Actually, the "unbearable heat" we are having is pretty normal heat. It still does not compare with the summer against which all summers in Texas are compared- the summer of 1980, also the year I first landed in this strange planet called Texas.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Florida is year round summer isn't it???
That is a common misconception. It's really only summer during the winter. It's more like a crematorium the rest of the time. Well, like living in a crematorium and having only steam to breathe. To steal a quote from Sierra Mist: Yeah... it's like that.

In truth, it's really been cold in Orlando before. It's actually snowed here. Maybe twice.

We lived in Orlando first; we actually moved from Orlando to Houston, then back to Orlando some years later. Before moving, I thought it was hot in Orlando. I used to hear people from Texas talking about the heat, and I'd say stupid stuff like "yeah, yeah... I live in Orlando - don't tell me about hot". But oh, how naive I was. Amazingly enough, Houston was hotter and more humid. And the mosquitoes are bigger.
A lot of it was pretty specific to Houston, (I think it gets fairly nice up near Dallas) cause the smog traps the heat and the low flat countryside traps the water. Both places get a lot of summer rain - the difference is that it's sporadic afternoon thundershowers in Orlando, and torrential downpours that last all summer in Houston. OK, maybe not this year, but my first memories of Westheimer Parkway were of soccer goals peeking out from lakes that turned out to be flooded sports fields. It's impressive how green they get afterwards though.
The bottom line is that there is a lot to like about both places, but air conditioning is by far the most important.

PachinkoPlayer said:
cubbybeave08 said:

Basically it is a small hick/farm town. We are big enough to have a Mc. Donalds and a Wendy's. Also a Dominos Pizza, (thanks to me... lol) but we are still small enough that we wave to strangers and very hard to get lost, unless you turn off on a gravel road.

100miles south of Indy, um, 230miles southwest of FT. Wayne.

We usually have warmer temps here compared to Indy and further North.
That is kinda what I thought...I travel to Indy once a month on business but never go much further south than that. I went to lexinton Kentucky once...staight down I 65 than over on I 64. But that is it. Being up north we are actually more Chicagoans than hoosiers...I live 30 minutes from downtown via the skyway( a fancy toll road that goes up and over some forgotten neighborhoods :mrgreen: Then take a hard right and your in Chicago. So all our TV comes from Chicago...I get very little news about what is going on in Indiana. It is almost like having duel statehood.

Hang in there, there's summer left yet. I know it tanks so far, but it will get there. We were camping at Moondance Jam since Wednesday with 40ish degree nights! But I'm optomistic - I'll be swimming again!!!

no-mas said:
Cubby -

So did you close finally?

No, actually, I have a daughter who would swim if the water temp was 68 degrees in the air temp was 80. She is a little nutty...I actually swam Saturday and Sunday it was a little chilly, but we had fun...I am moreso just frustrated that it isn't warm enough to really enjoy a full day in the pool just relaxing. The real problem is the lack of sunshine...I am so sick of clouds...I have a solar heater that doesn't get a chance to work long enough to make the water swimable.

cubbybeave08 said:
chrisa said:

chris

Chris...Tell your husband thanks for his dedicated service. When I think of all the idol worshiping of sports and movie stars...He is a star. I hope there are lots of people who turn out to greet him. Your husband and all the men and women serving are true heros. Give him a hug from America. Then I hope it is warm enough that he can just lounge in the pool for about 48 hours!!! :party:

thanks guys for the kind words!!! I just hope it doesn't rain on his welcome home/birthday/pool party :)

its still chilly here in ohio too...kids swam alittle yesterday and will probably go in today (more rain projected all week) its only 79 today.
I grew up in N. California and sometimes I miss those hotter than heck summers :) especially now that we have a pool :)

chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.