I am an idiot and listened to Leslie Pools. Now I need help please!

Re: Draining my pool. Documenting the process

As Jason said, use the img tags. it ends up looking like this:

15461920155_9c91623e09_m.jpg

15275184517_5769716fb0_m.jpg

15275046640_47f58576fa_m.jpg

15275123348_c8754df62e_m.jpg

15275185057_e5da357128_m.jpg

15461406002_ac2598821c_m.jpg

15275184787_11ce120739_m.jpg

15458612011_2047f5252f_m.jpg

15275047250_393f4e64ae_m.jpg

15275047350_ae64f5b174_m.jpg

15275047350_ae64f5b174_m.jpg

15275124018_37bef92483_m.jpg

15275124648_310f099141_m.jpg

So, I'm finally ready to switch to this method. After much rain and electricity going out, I am finally draining the pool after the algae grew. I can't seem to attach all the pics I took. I bought a sub pump from HF which was much cheaper than HD. I am going to do a chlorine wash and scrub the pool. Do I also need to do an acid wash? How do I get rid of the calcium buildup? Will CLR work?

Not sure it would be a good idea to use CLR on your pool. Once you SLAM and get rid of the algae, you can go from there. Have you read how to SLAM yet?

I drained it completely, scrubbed the sides, and now refilled. I added 3 gallons of Walmart bleach while it was refilling and also 4 cups of granular CYA in a sock in the filter basket in the return. The problem is that my water is now cloudy.

Here are my levels after backwashing the pump for 5 minutes and then running for about 12 hours overnight.

PH: 7.5
FC: 6.5
CH: 250 - 300
TA: 150

I am using the TF100 kit. For the CYA, the black dot never completely disappeared, but it did get cloudy. I understand it could take up to a week for the CYA to level out.

So what could be causing this cloudiness? The pump I bought from HF completely took out all of the old water, so the new water is completely new, minus whatever little was in the pipes.

The other issue I have is a calcium/scaling ring on the pebble tec side. I tried adding a little bit of muriatic acid to the spot, watching it bubble and then scrub, but it really did nothing.

Any suggestions on how to clear up the cloudiness or the calcium ring is very much appreciated. I can also add before and after pics showing clear water v. cloudy if that will help.

You are doing a great job! Remember to keep squeezing the sock to get the stabilizer to dissolve faster.

I use a DE filter but know that the sand filters do take a bit more time to clear up the water. You can do a search on here regarding adding DE to your sand filter and it will speed up the clearing of it.

Keep your pH and FC close to where it is and with time the TA should drop some. Once you have waited a week or so you can test your CYA and use that for the "Pool Math".

If it were me I would wait the week and see if your filtration takes care of the cloudiness. Keep brushing it and keep up with the pH and FC while you wait.

Once it clears up then try 80-100 grit wet/dry sandpaper on the calcium ring and you may need to add a diluted 10-1 to 5-1 muratic acid solution to help break up the ring. When you do this it will re-cloud your water until the filter picks it back up.

Ok. I am going to practice patience. Sorry about the split threads - that would be my LPOP (lack of pool owner patience). I will wait a week and see if the CYA is registered and if the filter clears it up. Great suggestion for the sandpaper. The brush and acid did not seem to work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you take the time to just knead that sock you'll get it all dissolved in 5-10 minutes and then it's just a matter of the patience of waiting a week to test.

Adding DE will help a sand filter but it will also cause it to plug up faster and require a backwash. Since you're adding CYA you want to try and not backwash (if possible) for the week. http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/133-add-de-to-a-sand-filter

15538789872_aa0f66b44b_b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

it appears that my pool pump is leaking out the backwash flow when I turn on the pump. It is just a few drips and I tried to capture it in the picture. Could that be the reason for the cloudy pool? Any suggestions on fixing it or is this normal? Time to call a pool guy?

Removing water would not make it cloudy, but if the seal to the backwash pipe are bad and leaking, the seals for the rest of the valve could be bad and allowing water to bypass the filter.

Time to rebuild the seals in the valve.

What he said. It is a problem you need to cure but it's not likely to be the full cause of the cloudiness.

The pressure difference between the filters "in" to the filters "out" isn't that much so the valve isn't likely to be leaking much internally but it could be a contributing factor. Since it's leaking to waste you do need a rebuild kit for it. Something like: http://www.poolsupplyunlimited.com/...1s2VVpdNBWQ5Jkf86HX0UBxhWFByAaoQc4BoCsl7w_wcB

You want to make sure you get the correct kit for your exact valve.
Show and tell:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAsW0uXFWbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfxjwhbANoQ

I rinsed the walls pretty well before filling. When I first started the pump after refilling, it did blow some dirt/algae back into the clear pool. At first, I just thought that was normal since the pump had been off for about a week, but maybe it is blowing sediment back in. I am having a pool guy come out today to fix the leak and I will have him throw in some DE into the filter basket to see if it gets blown back in. It is still the same level of cloudiness and FC from shock level is down to 9.

I rinsed the walls pretty well before filling. When I first started the pump after refilling, it did blow some dirt/algae back into the clear pool. At first, I just thought that was normal since the pump had been off for about a week, but maybe it is blowing sediment back in.
I am having a pool guy come out today to fix the leak and I will have him throw in some DE into the filter basket to see if it gets blown back in. It is still the same level of cloudiness and FC from shock level is down to 9.
Update: The seals around the backwash lever were replaced and the leak has stopped. There was no DE pumped back into the pool. With the pump running now, the pressure went from 18 psi to 22 psi. But I cannot backwash now because I have to let the CYA levels adjust, correct? I hope this cloudiness clears up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.