Hybrid TFP method

I would just figure out what you think the pool would need on a Wednesday - let’s say you believe it need 3/4 gallon of 10% bleach. Drop the jug off every Sunday, tell ‘em to dump the whole thing in on Wednesday. Sure you’ll overshoot the target, but that’s good.

If the water is in good shape, I’d recommend you run on the high end of suggested CYA levels.

Reactions: newbie919
Also if they don’t use the pool, put a solar cover on it. It will help decrease your chlorine usage to some extent. It helps me a lot both with evaporation and chlorine usage. I add chlorine into my pool twice a week during warm months usually Tuesdays and Fridays. 1 gallon each time. I figured out this works for me by obsessively checking my FC count for a year.
It may take some trial and error, but I think this can work for you too. Especially if they can manage a chlorine addition if you’re not around.
Ph is trickier so I’d just do that when you see them once a week.

I would just figure out what you think the pool would need on a Wednesday - let’s say you believe it need 3/4 gallon of 10% bleach. Drop the jug off every Sunday, tell ‘em to dump the whole thing in on Wednesday. Sure you’ll overshoot the target, but that’s good.

If the water is in good shape, I’d recommend you run on the high end of suggested CYA levels.
Great advice! I'm going to give this a swing.

Also if they don’t use the pool, put a solar cover on it. It will help decrease your chlorine usage to some extent. It helps me a lot both with evaporation and chlorine usage. I add chlorine into my pool twice a week during warm months usually Tuesdays and Fridays. 1 gallon each time. I figured out this works for me by obsessively checking my FC count for a year.
It may take some trial and error, but I think this can work for you too. Especially if they can manage a chlorine addition if you’re not around.
Ph is trickier so I’d just do that when you see them once a week.
Perfect! Thanks!

What’s the calcium level in their fill water? There’s several items it appears that mirror my situation and I’ll gladly give some of my methods.

Reactions: Newdude
What’s the calcium level in their fill water? There’s several items it appears that mirror my situation and I’ll gladly give some of my methods.
Great question! I'm going to start helping him out this week... I'll reply As soon as I take the test results.

Well, this is interesting...
I was expecting their pool to have a very high CYA since they use tablets... I attached the tablets they use... The pool guy also puts in something called Algatec once a month... (I heard stuff LIKE this has copper.. Anyway, to test for metal in a pool?)

I may keep using their tablets until CYA gets closer to 60... Then switch to Liquid chlorine and have them add midweek.

I tested the CYA twice... Ha
==========================================
In Law Pool
------------------------------------------
Build Type: Vinyl
Volume: 24840 gallons
------------------------------------------
Latest Test Result Summary:
FC: 0.5 (49 minutes ago)
pH: 7.0 (49 minutes ago)
TA: 60 (49 minutes ago)
CH: 70 (49 minutes ago)
CYA: 30 (49 minutes ago)
TEMPERATURE: 80° (49 minutes ago)
CSI: -1.38 (49 minutes ago)
==========================================

Attachments

• 2023-06-16 12.21.19.jpg
    2023-06-16 12.21.19.jpg
    400.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Several years ago I took over the maintenance of my in-laws pool as they too were getting up there in age and maintaining it was growing increasingly difficult. While some of the maintenance I’ve been doing aligns with TFP other parts doesn’t.….so take the advice I give knowing the advice is targeted towards your unique scenario and isn’t really perfect for the masses. For starters please note that your in-laws will need to do some work but your goal is to make their workload as easy as possible. You need to make it where their workload is spent “maintaining” the pool and keeping it clear. If ever the pool turns green, just plan on spending time SLAMMING the pool. Don’t even bother having them do it.

For starters know that every Sunday is the day everything MUST be checked out. Do a weekly test on everything using your FAS/DPD test kit, clean the filter, clean any baskets, and make any major chemical adjustments every Sunday. If you need to miss a Sunday, plan on making a special trip ASAP. Don’t skip this as the weekly check by yourself is going to be vital, especially at first. As for maintaining the FC level, for starters make sure every Sunday your FC/CYA Levels are towards the high end as this weekly dose is what “resets” everything. Next make sure your in-laws have a gallons of liquid chlorine and instruct them to add the chlorine every Thursday……bonus points if they’re able to add two gallons. By them adding it once a week and you also adding some you’re going to stay in the ballpark of maintaining the FC/CYA ratio, but I promise you that your levels will be all over the place.

Knowing that your levels will be a train-wreck make it your goal to do everything you can to reduce the amount of chlorine you lose every day. Run your CYA level somewhat higher than TFP suggests, use a solar cover if at all possible, maybe even invest in some of those stupid Solar rings as they do help keep the sun off the water ever so slightly. Experiment with your situation and do everything you can to make it where your pool loses as little chlorine as possible. Any little thing you can do is going to help out.

Next is where I’m likely going to get flamed, but it’s something I’ve learned to embrace. You’re going to likely go under the FC/CYA ratio and you’re going to need to plan on taking out some insurance policies for when this happens. For myself I’ve found managing phosphates beneficial for those times when my chlorine level drops below the FC/CYA ratio. While this is an additional cost up front I’ve found low levels of phosphates will hopefully slow down the growth of algae giving you some extra time to get the right amount of chlorine into the pool. While you could also use a polyquat algaecide I personally have found it more expensive in the long run.

Lastly is something I’m going to say as I know it’s going to occur. It has NOTHING to do with maintaining the pool, but is something that’s going to occur as your move forward. Don’t get mad when something happens. It’s hard, but let things go. I promise you they’re going to forget to add some chlorine sometimes. They’re going to forget to empty the pump basket, or maybe forget to turn the pump on all together sometimes. It’s just going to happen. When it does, let it go. Have patience and remain calm……regardless what happens. You’re only dealing with water and you’re going to be able to fix any issue that arises. Getting upset is only going to make things more difficult on yourself, but remaining calm will make things easier to deal with plus will make you look good in front of your significant other……and that always brings its own rewards.

I say all this but I’d also like to say that this is going to be an experiment at first that’s going to take some tinkering. You’re going to need to adjust as you go and as your learn more about how their pool acts. If you find adding liquid chlorine is too difficult once a week due to the weight, maybe buy some Cal-Hypo. If you’re losing too much chlorine during the week, use a puck or two to help add a bit extra chlorine. A tab is only going to add maybe 3ppm CYA to your pool but will also help replenish the chlorine loss you’re seeing. Experiment with a few different options and use odd techniques. I’m sure you’ll find something to fit your odd situation.

Several years ago I took over the maintenance of my in-laws pool as they too were getting up there in age and maintaining it was growing increasingly difficult. While some of the maintenance I’ve been doing aligns with TFP other parts doesn’t.….so take the advice I give knowing the advice is targeted towards your unique scenario and isn’t really perfect for the masses. For starters please note that your in-laws will need to do some work but your goal is to make their workload as easy as possible. You need to make it where their workload is spent “maintaining” the pool and keeping it clear. If ever the pool turns green, just plan on spending time SLAMMING the pool. Don’t even bother having them do it.

For starters know that every Sunday is the day everything MUST be checked out. Do a weekly test on everything using your FAS/DPD test kit, clean the filter, clean any baskets, and make any major chemical adjustments every Sunday. If you need to miss a Sunday, plan on making a special trip ASAP. Don’t skip this as the weekly check by yourself is going to be vital, especially at first. As for maintaining the FC level, for starters make sure every Sunday your FC/CYA Levels are towards the high end as this weekly dose is what “resets” everything. Next make sure your in-laws have a gallons of liquid chlorine and instruct them to add the chlorine every Thursday……bonus points if they’re able to add two gallons. By them adding it once a week and you also adding some you’re going to stay in the ballpark of maintaining the FC/CYA ratio, but I promise you that your levels will be all over the place.

Knowing that your levels will be a train-wreck make it your goal to do everything you can to reduce the amount of chlorine you lose every day. Run your CYA level somewhat higher than TFP suggests, use a solar cover if at all possible, maybe even invest in some of those stupid Solar rings as they do help keep the sun off the water ever so slightly. Experiment with your situation and do everything you can to make it where your pool loses as little chlorine as possible. Any little thing you can do is going to help out.

Next is where I’m likely going to get flamed, but it’s something I’ve learned to embrace. You’re going to likely go under the FC/CYA ratio and you’re going to need to plan on taking out some insurance policies for when this happens. For myself I’ve found managing phosphates beneficial for those times when my chlorine level drops below the FC/CYA ratio. While this is an additional cost up front I’ve found low levels of phosphates will hopefully slow down the growth of algae giving you some extra time to get the right amount of chlorine into the pool. While you could also use a polyquat algaecide I personally have found it more expensive in the long run.

Lastly is something I’m going to say as I know it’s going to occur. It has NOTHING to do with maintaining the pool, but is something that’s going to occur as your move forward. Don’t get mad when something happens. It’s hard, but let things go. I promise you they’re going to forget to add some chlorine sometimes. They’re going to forget to empty the pump basket, or maybe forget to turn the pump on all together sometimes. It’s just going to happen. When it does, let it go. Have patience and remain calm……regardless what happens. You’re only dealing with water and you’re going to be able to fix any issue that arises. Getting upset is only going to make things more difficult on yourself, but remaining calm will make things easier to deal with plus will make you look good in front of your significant other……and that always brings its own rewards.

I say all this but I’d also like to say that this is going to be an experiment at first that’s going to take some tinkering. You’re going to need to adjust as you go and as your learn more about how their pool acts. If you find adding liquid chlorine is too difficult once a week due to the weight, maybe buy some Cal-Hypo. If you’re losing too much chlorine during the week, use a puck or two to help add a bit extra chlorine. A tab is only going to add maybe 3ppm CYA to your pool but will also help replenish the chlorine loss you’re seeing. Experiment with a few different options and use odd techniques. I’m sure you’ll find something to fit your odd situation.
Thanks! This gives me hope. Im going to help them finish the season. I really don't want their pool to turn green... But without daily attention... We will see.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.