Hurricane tips

Dec 5, 2018
Palm City, FL
I am concerned with a Category 3 hurricane bearing down on us what the proper treatment for the pool is. As a perimeter overflow pool it is always overflowing. The pool manufacturer states that I should just leave the pool running (as long as we have power. I am concerned that I should lower the pool. Any thoughts?

Your pool overflows into a catch basin? Where does the catch basin overflow to? How much water is in the catch basin? You have an autofill on the pool? An overflow drain?

gold,

I'm just around the corner from you in Stuart. We've been through this a couple of times now. We often drain down several inches per week this time of year even without a storm due to localized heavy afternoon thunder storms. So lowering level isn't a bad thing. Just keep in mind that a few days with your pool level high doesn't really hurt anything other than you don't skim. But the high winds interfere with skimming anyway. The main concern I have is lightning damage and power failure. If the storm makes a bee-line for us I know we'll have at least brief power outages plus a LOT of lightning. So I will just dose up with liquid chlorine to the high end of the range and turn everything off at the main breaker for a day or so. I also keep a couple jugs of liquid chlorine available in case we have an extended outage.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Your pool overflows into a catch basin? Where does the catch basin overflow to? How much water is in the catch basin? You have an autofill on the pool? An overflow drain?
it overflows into a very small catch basin that flows via gravity to a collecting tank on the side of the house. I shut off the autofill. There is a small french drain but not sure how much water it will move.

gold,

I'm just around the corner from you in Stuart. We've been through this a couple of times now. We often drain down several inches per week this time of year even without a storm due to localized heavy afternoon thunder storms. So lowering level isn't a bad thing. Just keep in mind that a few days with your pool level high doesn't really hurt anything other than you don't skim. But the high winds interfere with skimming anyway. The main concern I have is lightning damage and power failure. If the storm makes a bee-line for us I know we'll have at least brief power outages plus a LOT of lightning. So I will just dose up with liquid chlorine to the high end of the range and turn everything off at the main breaker for a day or so. I also keep a couple jugs of liquid chlorine available in case we have an extended outage.

I hope this helps.

Chris
Is yours a perimeter overflow/infinity edge?

it overflows into a very small catch basin that flows via gravity to a collecting tank on the side of the house. I shut off the autofill. There is a small french drain but not sure how much water it will move.

I would drain the water down to the minimum level in the collecting tank.

It has been my experience that draining the pool before hand does not help all that much. If you are hit you can expect rainfalls of 12" or more. It is not recommended that you drain a pool down that far as it might float. IMHO the best you can do is make sure that you have good drainage away from the pool and water does not collect and flood your home.

Make sure that you take down and store securely any and all things that can move. Chairs, tables potted plants etc. They can and will become missiles.

Lowering the pool can only cause problems. Probably best to fill it as full as possible, but in reality pool level is a trivial concern. Just secure things around it to avoid damage. If the equipment is at risk of water immersion from surge, remove if you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.