Hurricane recovery if you got bayou water in your pool

Sep 16, 2017
Houston, TX
I posted this on someone else's Harvey post before I noticed the caveat to start your own post for a new question. Our pool was flooded by bayou water. We super chlorinated it for about a week and got the pH adjusted. Now the question is how to clear the water. Leslie's suggested superfloc, but then said we had to buy a pump to vacuum it up off the bottom. Is this the best method? Will my filters eventually filter this stuff out or do I need to either get a pump or figure out a siphon/vacuum method? Any idea how long? Will using superfloc (or something else) expedite the process? It's about an 18000 gal pool with a spa.

Re: Hurricane question

Just keep cleaning the filter. Buy a new cartridge(s) for it and swap the two around while it clears up. You'll need to clean the filters every few hours probably till it clears. Run the pump 24/7. Also make sure chlorine is up to the level it needs to be.

I posted this on someone else's Harvey post before I noticed the caveat to start your own post for a new question. Our pool was flooded by bayou water. We super chlorinated it for about a week and got the pH adjusted. Now the question is how to clear the water. Leslie's suggested superfloc, but then said we had to buy a pump to vacuum it up off the bottom. Is this the best method? Will my filters eventually filter this stuff out or do I need to either get a pump or figure out a siphon/vacuum method? Any idea how long? Will using superfloc (or something else) expedite the process? It's about an 18000 gal pool with a spa.

Ginger,
Can you give us a little more information? What does your pool look like? Is the water green or clear or brown? What does the stuff that's on the bottom? Is it just mud and sand or other heavy junk like rocks too? What system have you used for pool maintenance in the past? Have you used the TFP method in the past or the Pool Store Method or a pool maintenance service? A photo would be perfect. Also can you tell us what equipment you have? We can be way more specific once you answer these questions. In the meantime I'll do the best making some assumptions. My assumptions are:
  • Pool store did your testing.
  • Mud and sand on bottom
  • You have green algae in the water
  • You typically use tablets to chlorinate and not the TFP method

Here are the answers with assumptions above:
  • Mud and sand on the bottom should vacuum up with your existing equipment. You can do it manually with the hose and normal manual vacuum attachment. A suction cleaner such as the Pool Cleaner by Hayward or Kreepy Crawly will also clean it but could take a while. A pressure cleaner such as a Polaris may work but only if you have a fine filter added. Clean the filter when you start then clean it each time the filter pressure increases 25%. This could happen often at first depending on your equipment.
  • We use different methods compared to pool stores and we also find very inconsistent lab results from the stores so we do all our testing ourselves with commercially available test kits that use Taylor products.
  • It is very likely that your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) levels are too high. You must know this level to disinfect your pool since at levels over 100 the FC is much less effective. To reduce your CYA you'll need to replace water to ratio it down.
  • Please read through the material in Pool School if you're interested in using TFP methodology. It has the advantage of being very effective, and it will be much cheaper than doing typical pool store recommendations. Plus you'll know exactly what's in your pool. We rarely add anything other than liquid chlorine, acid to adjust ph, and a little stabilizer to start. We refrain from tablets since they cause CYA build up.
  • Depending on what you got in the pool from the bayou water it is possible you'll need to floc but it's unlikely.

Here are my answers if you have read Pool School and are familiar with TFP methodology:
  • Do a complete test for FC,CC,CYA,PH,CH,TA.
  • Vacuum all the debris away.
  • If your CYA level is not too high SLAM with liquid bleach only until your water is clear and you pass the oclt test.
  • Brush daily and run the pump 24/7. Only stop to clean the filer as needed.
  • If you rigorously follow the SLAM process your pool will sparkle soon.

I've tried to save a cycle of responses here so you can get going with the fix. I hope it hasn't caused too much confusion and most of all I hope this has been helpful.

Chris

Husband put in floc - options?

First chemistry - I think we are finally ( maybe ) in balance. CL 4, CH 250, CYA 60, TA 100, pH 7.6 -
Water was still a little cloudy - I think DH meant to add clarifier but purchased Floc. Lots of stuff did drop to the bottom - but we don't have a regular vac - just a robot - so guess who vacuumed stuff off the bottom of the pool with a wet vac while DH kept the vacuum from falling in the pool? I would say probably 80 % is up. DH says enough, and frankly the pool is starting to get a bit nippy. So, is there anything one can do to get rid of the rest? I have read it will eventually quit flocking - put it has been over a week. Kills me that DH has so many opinions not based on knowledge, yet wants me to fix/take care of things. Grrrrr - but that is another issue. Any advice?

Re: Husband put in floc - options?

No need to use floc or clarifier. What do you think is dropping to the floor? I suspect it may be dead algae.......what does your water look like?

Do you have a manual vacuum? (old style with big hose that inserts in the skimmer)

Too late - he already added the floc - That is my problem. I think what dropped out initially was dead algae as it was yellowish. Very easy to dissipate with little agitation. Now what falls out is grayish - but I haven't vacuumed anything else out in a few days. I do not have a regular vacuum and hose. Only a robot - A Shark. I decided to try and spot run it today, so will see if that picks up anything. My Husband now want to try a clarifier. I am reluctant to add anything else until I get some expert input.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not sure why this was merged with my original post from last year. I view this as a different issue, but if the history helps that is fine with me.

You were essentially asking the exact same questions about floc, so I merged them ... without noticing the dates :hammer:

All the same advice still applies ... including, don't use floc ;)

You were essentially asking the exact same questions about floc, so I merged them ... without noticing the dates :hammer:

All the same advice still applies ... including, don't use floc ;)

Except now my husband already put floc in the pool, lots of stuff dropped out, I have managed to get 80% or so out - so I am looking for any advice on how to deal with the remaining residue. The water still seems cloudy, so I may SLAM again - but didn't know with the residue floc chemical in the pool if that was wise to do now. If I could rewind and keep him form pooring it in I would, but that ship has sailed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.