Hurricane Irma heading our way...

Agd38

Mar 14, 2014
Tampa
My obvious concern and priority are my family. This storm has us stressed enough. On Wednesday we were planning to leave but all signs were pointing to east coast hit. People with no gas getting stuck on roads was a concern to leave after that etc...Well we know that changed and it's on track for our area here in Tampa. We are well stocked and have great neighbors all in this together. I fortunately live in a no flood zone but am worried about my newer pool and rather large pool enclosure due to high winds. Hopefully it holds up with the proper engineering and county codes followed....
Some say cut the screen to allow airflow, my screen guy said it's debatable. Oh well. We will be hunkerin down as it is expected to pass us by at its worst tomorrow at this time....

<sending positive ohms your way>

Let us know how everyone and everything fared afterwards. Pics of the pool would be welcome.

Maddie :flower:

9d68115b35539e304b2b6dc9ce8bdf82.jpg
91c87058f4687cd1e6fe1fbee3d0f1bb.jpg
7f2ea11e7db4b3a0180cc709bc86dc4f.jpg
12ec674c825ade653660ffde19ba8932.jpg

I took some of these today for insurance just in case...

Prayers to you and your family. We just went through Harvey and 50 inches of rain so I understand your stress level. We had to leave due an issue with our levee system however we were lucky and did not flood. Before I left I put a floater and a bunch of tabs in the pool since I did not know how long we would be gone. As far as the screen enclosure I personally wouldn't cut the screens as that is what insurance is for if it gets damaged. Good luck and let us know how you did after the storm.

Thankfully all okay minus my panoramic screen spline popped off along the bottom. I am lucky to still have power. Other neighbors are out .Our home faced the worst of the winds from the front of house, otherwise I may have other news to report. I dropped the pool water level down right below waterline tile and it filled all the way up with rain. I live in fishhawk as a perspective to the bad winds on the map just east of the eye. Thank God the winds were reduced to cat 1.

Aside from a couple bag of salts needed. I noticed my superchlorinator was off on my panel, should I turn on after adding Sallt?

690b974b58640a1d32c13e7b87d96671.jpg
e313aafce873e1575a738fa2915ff812.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Glad to see that you made it out ok. Luckily I had no damage to the screen enclosure and only took me one 40lb bag of salt and a sock half way full of Cyanuric acid and my levels are already perfect. Btw, I pour the salt with both the svg pump and the salt water generator running and slowly I see the salt level raise to the desirable 3300 level. This is how my builder instructed me, there might be a different technique that others can chime in.

Thankfully, for us in Tampa, Irma didn't stay out over the gulf and stay a CAT 3 coming up the west coast. I am glad to hear that you didn't suffer significant damage. This post gave me much to think about - as our pool build hasn't started yet.

Hurricane season preparation: I know to have plenty of bottled water, non-perishable foods, always keep a full propane tank for the grill, be ready to secure loose outdoor furniture, clean-up any loose/dead branches....
**But what do you do to prepare a pool for a storm?

So far I have learned: Lower the water level, add chlorine floater/tabs and be ready to add salt (for the SWCG) and stabilizer (CA).

Should the pumps and other equipment intentionally be turned off (turn off main breaker to the pool panel)?

I have seen pictures/videos of people throwing all of their outdoor furniture into the pool, so that it will not blow around in the storm. Is this advisable?

What are other essential steps to take?

In hindsight, I would say to make sure that all the pool equipment is well secure on the pad, bolted down, etc. I had to bolt mine and put metal cable around the filter casing to keep it from swaying. It is advisable to turn off the power to the pool controller. In my case I didn't get a chance, we lost power well before the actual storm came. I did submerged my pool furniture and fared well. But again, I was lucky, who is to say that if I had gotten a direct hit, my cage, equipment or even the pool would have survived. I cleared the whole pool area in anticipation just in case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.