Huge problem with metals and stained steps and pool - Please feel free to comment!

Eug

Bronze Supporter
May 8, 2018
San Antonio, TX
I’m just coming off about 4 weeks of trying to get rid of metal in my pool. For some reason about 5 weeks ago, I think after a heavy rain, my steps almost overnight went from bright white to stained like an iced tea color. I’m sure you all know what I’m talking about. Anyway, the guys at Leslies began telling me what to do, and kinda some vague steps of how to do it. So after 4 weeks and a few hundred dollars, I’m now in the process of trying to reclaim my pool from algae, and the steps are darker than ever. I understand why the steps are dark now with the high chlorine. But also kinda not really because after treating the pool three times with absorbic acid and following the other recommended steps, it hasn’t improved one iota Also yes, it is iron because even with just one vitamin c pill I can write my name in white on the tea stained steps! Lol

So with my brand new TF Test Kit in hand (also the Premium subscription with the Pool Math app) I’m going to do this according to TFP directions, and hopefully learn a lot in the process.

Currently my pool is very cloudy and mint green, but slowly clearing up from a dark green it turned while doing the last two ascorbic acid treatments.

Current readings: (not yet sure how to upload the data from the Pool Math app)
FC 8.5
CC 0.5
TC 9.0
PH 6.8
TA 90
CH 400
CYA 40

I’m currently heading to the store to grab some borax, so I can raise my pH but not raise the TA. Then I’ll continue bumping up the FC to the recommended slam level to rid the algae.

Anything I’m doing wrong, or questions please shout! I’ll keep this thread updated with the results.

If you are going right into the SLAM Process then leave your pH where it is. The SLAM Process says to start with pH 7.2 and 6.8 will work just as well. Your pH will drift up during the SLAM Process. You can also aerate the pool to raise the pH. Note that once CL is over 10 then pH test is invalid. So just check FC & CC during the SLAM Process.

Reactions: IceShadow
What he said - note you can click on the blue links to see what he means if you're not familiar. Kill the algae, get the SLAM resolved, then we can help with the staining. :)

The SLAM has worked great on the pool. Took a little longer than planned due to running out of liquid bleach, and a short business trip. Still maybe just a little cloudy in the deep end, but not much. Just not crystal clear yet. Currently sitting at 13 ppm FC.

Will do the overnight FC test tonight to see if it holds. it’s been dropping every day but I’m guessing that’s due to the amount of ascorbic acid in the pool, along with the sun during the day. I thought I read somewhere that until the ascorbic acid is gone that it will continue to lower your FC.

Plan is to run the overnight test, then assuming that holds, start to lower the chlorine. I think I could maybe start now, but don’t want to risk the success I’ve had and also want to get the deep end completely clear.

Next, I’ll let the FC lower to where I can re-check the other chemical levels in the pool. After I get this thing okay for a week or two we can discuss getting rid of the stain the right way without having my pool turn into a green Six Flags water ride.

Also, I have four new filters ready to go if and when you guys think I should use them. Next weekend I’ll pull the current ones out and power wash them again.

Again, always open to feedback! Thanks!
#recoveringlesliesaddict

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.