Huge hole in the bottom the pool liner. Some sand has been washed away.

May 29, 2017
Perry Hall, MD
This morning I noticed my little aqua bug pool vacuum was stuck in one place for a while. I went and picked the vac up and noticed about a one inch tear in the bottom. I pulled the vac out and put it away. By the time I returned, the hole was about an 1 inch x 1/2 inch. So I ran changed clothes, and grabbed the vinyl patch kit that I had in the shed. By the time I got changed and the patch ready, the hole was a little smaller than the size of my fist. I was able to get it to stop leaking (I think) but I ended up needing two patches since the first one wasnt big enough.

Another issue is that since there was so much water rushing through the hole, it has washed away some of the sand underneath. I will attach some pics. What are my options here? This issue on top of other things going wrong in my life is about to send me over the edge.

Attachments

• IMG_0997.jpg
    IMG_0997.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 171
Wow, bummer Ross410. So sorry to read this. I hope things improve for you now.

I don't think there is anything you can do about the sand under the pool at this point, but the next time you change liners you'll be able to fix the base then. To empty the pool and work on the base now risks the liner even more. Either tearing or not going back in to position.

Welcome to TFP otherwise :)

Maddie :flower:

Thank you. Do you think a hole of this size is ok to leave patched? The patches that I have in place are not placed on very well since the first one was not large enough. Im worried that the liner will rip even more. Would applying a patch the size of say 1ft x 1ft feasible?

Good to know, thank you. Do you know of a good way to apply the patch other than swimming down there? Trying to stay underwater while holding my breath is half the reason the first patch didnt go on so well. I had folded it over, dove down and unfolded and applied. Didnt go on very smooth at all.

It's a lot easier to have a trusted person assist in holding you down so you don't float to the surface and once it's applied, they allow you to come up for air. That's how I have done it in the past. Always triple up on your patches with the last patch being bigger than the one before.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I attached a clear nylon hose to my snorkel to extend it above the water line, and had my kid hold it up while I worked putting a patch on. Had to cut the snorkel tube to attach the tube, but was worth it.

Put a patch at least 12"x12" over it, better safe than sorry. Now, question is how did the hole get there to begin with?

Thanks for all of the replies. I covered half of the original 2 patches with one large patch. The other half looked like it had a good seal. I guess not since when I woke up this morning I had lost maybe a half inch of water and the ground was still swampy.

- - - Updated - - -
I attached a clear nylon hose to my snorkel to extend it above the water line, and had my kid hold it up while I worked putting a patch on. Had to cut the snorkel tube to attach the tube, but was worth it.

Put a patch at least 12"x12" over it, better safe than sorry. Now, question is how did the hole get there to begin with?
Where did you find a patch of that size? All of the kits that I have bought are no more than 6 inches wide it seems. Unfortunately, I believe the hole was caused by the aqua bug. I left it running over night. Not sure how it actually caused it though

Thanks for all of the replies. I covered half of the original 2 patches with one large patch. The other half looked like it had a good seal. I guess not since when I woke up this morning I had lost maybe a half inch of water and the ground was still swampy.

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you find a patch of that size? All of the kits that I have bought are no more than 6 inches wide it seems. Unfortunately, I believe the hole was caused by the aqua bug. I left it running over night. Not sure how it actually caused it though

I purchased it at a local pool supply house, sold by the 12" width x foot required.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.