HTH Marketing

TishTash

Bronze Supporter
Aug 8, 2018
Merrick, NY
I tend to skeptically respect HTH; they have decent products and generally sound advice. (The label of their cyanuric acid clearly warns against CYA levels above 60ppm, for example.) But this latest misdisplay of info gave me pause:

How do you have three tiers of essentially the same cal-hypo product? The in-between version is 56.44% Cl (54% min) and 16oz and retails for $7. The “bargain“ entry at 52% (49% min) and 13.3oz costs $6 but should actually be a dollar less for the actual chlorine that you get. Top that with the “top-of-the-line” issue at a lower Cl (54%/52.5% min) and 16oz at a buck more, for the specious premium of blue dye “to show it’s working.” (It also includes a built-in clarifier and water softener, apparently somehow missing from the lesser cal-hypo products ... urp.)

Checking out the official comparison poster, the two cheaper versions somehow lost their “fast-dissolving” property, the middle one gained the ability to avoid eye irritation, and the premium trim replaced its blue and clarifying advantages to stress lack of scale formation & reiterate its ocular gentleness.

Gotta love marketing in the name of hogging up shelf space....

Attachments

• BC6677AA-48A4-4C12-8B6F-7B036F1D6D11.png
    BC6677AA-48A4-4C12-8B6F-7B036F1D6D11.png
    138.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 6A029BA9-FD10-4C49-8D92-F322EC74B8A3.png
    6A029BA9-FD10-4C49-8D92-F322EC74B8A3.png
    272.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 2BA2F09B-B6B4-458A-A4A5-D8D5D60E46C8.png
    2BA2F09B-B6B4-458A-A4A5-D8D5D60E46C8.png
    234.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 48CD94AF-0C2B-4AED-BA36-7C483B9F7C06.jpeg
    48CD94AF-0C2B-4AED-BA36-7C483B9F7C06.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
HTH makes a great stabilizer/CYA (the granules...not the pods!) and pH decreaser if you don’t like using muriatic acid like me, lol. Other than that, I haven’t tried any of their other products. As far as chlorine goes, stick with regular liquid chlorine.

I was thinking about the pods, since they’re “pre-measured” in 1/2 lb. packets, and are the exact same price. Is your aversion based on their going right into the skimmer, as opposed to using a sock by the return?
I’m only familiar with the sock method but I’ve read some bad reviews about the pods. I guess that happens with every thing sometimes, though. I’ve personally never tried them but I’ve never seen them recommended on the forum. Hopefully someone who knows about them can chime in. :) HTH does make a good stabilizer in granule form, though.

I was thinking about the pods, since they’re “pre-measured” in 1/2 lb. packets, and are the exact same price. Is your aversion based on their going right into the skimmer, as opposed to using a sock by the return?
Actually, I stand corrected lol. If you do a “search” of the hth pods I see several members that have used them. It looks like most still put them in a sock, though. Check out some older posts about them! Here is a good one:

Reactions: TishTash
Actually, I stand corrected lol. If you do a “search” of the hth pods I see several members that have used them. It looks like most still put them in a sock, though. Check out some older posts about them! Here is a good one:

Thanks for the link. Subjectively, it does seem to dissolve somewhat more quickly than others. And the premeasured packets make it a bit more convenient.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.