Howdy from Qatar, big pool, new to ops/maint

NAPT_Qatar

In The Industry
Nov 15, 2019
Al Sailiya, Qatar
Where do I start...
3 months ago I didnt know anything about pools, but an incident at our pool at work caused me to...wait for it...
Dive deep into the subject.
After a long hiatus as a staff safety diver I was asked to dive once again.
First time back in, I was shocked at the condition of the pool and dive equipment.
Second time strong smell of chlorine in the pool area.
I had to bail after an hour in the water, couldnt stop coughing, and the students were complaining.
My first reaction, too much chlorine!
How wrong I was.
Call was made and the maintenance contractor team came. No chlorine and pH off the scale below 6.8.
Contractor said "no problem we will add chemical to fix it right away"
They dumped some material in a bucket, sprayed water on it and proceeded to toss lumps of it into the pool with their bare hands, genius style.
I asked them three times for the name of the chemical. Bear in mind, I didnt know jack at the time...but I was about to be introduced to him.
Ready?
Sodium bisulfite.
So I fled the scene for the day and was out the next day due to coughing and shortness of breath. Got online, first thing I did was look up sodium bisulfite.
Fast forward to today, pool company only delivers chemicals, I'm doing everything. Pool looks pretty good. Figuring everything out as I go and could sure use some advice from time to time, as I'm still idiot-tier when it comes to some issues (pump capacity as relates to pump diameter, this kinda stuff)
Before and after pics:
Before, not a good angle but water looking green
20191116_143005.jpg20190904_101155.jpg
After, not too shabby
IMG-20191116-WA0008.jpeg20191116_141707.jpg
So I'll have alot of questions, tech details should show up in the signature line, about to find out.

Last edited:
Welcome to TFP.

That is not the typical pool we see. Nice looking pool toys you have. Let us know how we can help you.

What test kit do you use for water chemistry?

Welcome to TFP.

That is not the typical pool we see. Nice looking pool toys you have. Let us know how we can help you.

What test kit do you use for water chemistry?
Hey AJ
Just phenol red and DPD right now, a kiddie pool kit to be sure. I have to have 2 people read it behind me and we rarely agree on a number.
I ordered a Lamotte Spin Touch, aint here yet, cant come soon enough.
Started sending samples to the contractor for testing, tomorrow I'm hand-delivering a specimen and will watch them run the sample. Just got off the phone with them a minute ago.

You may want to read about the test kits we recommend. The Spin Touch does not have the testing accuracy or range in the FC test that we like...

Tell us what your contractor uses for water testing and what you observe.
Yup, I get it.
Two reasons I went with it,
First, it's not complicated to operate. Among the guys who help me none are native English speakers except me. Farsi, Hindi, Tagalog, Arabic etc.
Second, I read a review from a guy who had good consistent results from it, he was a lab guy so knew maintenance and calibration and kept it tuned up.
I have some lab experience, so inshallah I'll get good results out of it.
All that being said, I reserve the right to be an idiot and regret my decision (would not be the first time)
Gonna go read those links now.

You have to understand the limitations of your tools.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you maintain a CYA level in your indoor pool? Study the FC/CYA Levels for the FC level required for the SLAM Process. If you ever got mustard algae you would need to raise FC higher Then on that chart. Read Mustard Algae - Trouble Free Pool
Contractor was using trichlor, so there was a significant CYA level, I changed to Cal Hypo 68% about 6 weeks ago.
Last month they didnt test for CYA, month before it was elevated (they werent doing extensive testing before). Will post the number when I find it.
So tell me, should I maintain CYA indoors? I couldnt see why, so do I need CYA or no? If yes, how much?

Read about CYA at CYA - Further Reading

CYA buffers the harshness of chlorine and protects the Free Chlorine from the suns UV rays. An indoor pool does not need it’s chlorine protected from UV. The swimmers can benefit from CYA buffering the available chlorine.

CYA of 20-30 is all you need for an indoor pool. That would have you maintain a normal FC level of 4-6.

You really need to chlorinate with liquid chlorine or a SWG so you are not adding to CYA or Calcium levels. Do you drain water out of the pool periodicaly?

Read

Last edited: