How you test your water using speed stir

Watershow

Jun 10, 2020
Riverside County, CA
Hi all,
I was wondering what is the right way to test your water using the speed stir. Do you add drops as it’s stirring or do you stir each time you add a drop? My husband adds drops as it’s swirling and I noticed there’s a .5 difference in technique. Also, is it common to lose 1ppm the same day you add chlorine? My husband added chlorine this morning and tested the water in the evening. The weather is starting to become warm and has been in the mid 70s-80s this week. I am noticing I am needing to add chlorine more frequently these days.

With the 10 ml test, two drops is somewhere between .5 and 1 ppm loss. Given the time of year and our current weather, you're right where you should be. As @mguzzy mentioned, expect to see between 3-5 ppm daily loss through the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Watershow
Do you also run your pump longer in the summer? How many hours?
During the peak summer months, my SWG needs around 8-10 hours per day to make up for daily FC loss. Since I'm on a time of use power plan through SCE (with solar), I generally run most of those hours overnight. I run a couple hours during the late afternoon hours to skim the surface of wind-blown debris. If I didn't have an SWG, I would probably run around 6-8 hours per day.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.