How would you reccommend I raise CYA in an inground pool?

Robsurfsit

May 12, 2020
San Diego
How would you reccommend I raise CYA in an 30,000 gallon inground pool? Use conditioner? Tabs? Is a combination ok?
I would prefer to help raise it with tabs since I have some tabs and liquid chlorine is very expensive where I live.
Current numbers - FC 2, PH 7.8, ALk 55, CYA 15

Thank you for your help!
Rob

If using the tabs - be mindful of the acidic effects on ph & don’t put them in your skimmer.
Here’s the effects of each dissolved tablet in your pool volume 👇
4673A582-2A84-444A-9C00-498FFAFF7B16.png
If using dry cya/stabilizer put it in a sock & hang infront of a running return not touching the pool wall. Squeeze the sock periodically.

I would add that there's probably nothing that economical about using tabs for CYA, other than you have them. I only use them because of the convenience of taking a week-long jug break, and at first, was because I already had purchased them. It does throw in an extra CYA test that I probably would not need, which is OK with me. I like my job, but I like a few days off. I don't mind jugs, but I like a few days off :)

Just my opinion but if your burning through chlorine 40 obviously isn't enough and the puck method is very slow. I'd say get granular and raise it quicker and just store the pucks for some other time like after the new CYA starts to fade to maintain .....

Just my opinion but if your burning through chlorine 40 obviously isn't enough and the puck method is very slow. I'd say get granular and raise it quicker and just store the pucks for some other time like after the new CYA starts to fade to maintain .....
If that's referencing my 40ppm CYA, I do monitor CL consumption pretty close. At worst, even in this sun, I typically only lose about 2 to 2.5ppm/day, which consumption doesn't ever appear to correlate with that 10pmm CYA swing.

If that's referencing my 40ppm CYA, I do monitor CL consumption pretty close. At worst, even in this sun, I typically only lose about 2 to 2.5ppm/day, which consumption doesn't ever appear to correlate with that 10pmm CYA swing.
I went to look at your original post for one you say CYA of 15 but with Taylor how is that when 20 is barely readable and CYA only is 20,30,40 50.....
How are you only losing 2-2.5 a day with this low CYA.

I went to look at your original post for one you say CYA of 15 but with Taylor how is that when 20 is barely readable and CYA only is 20,30,40 50.....
How are you only losing 2-2.5 a day with this low CYA.
Oh, that's the OP's readings. I was chiming in with my maintenance of 40 on the question of using on hand pucks to raise CYA. With their CYA 0f 15ppm, it would take longer than a direct dose, agree!

Reactions: Mdragger88
Oh, that's the OP's readings. I was chiming in with my maintenance of 40 on the question of using on hand pucks to raise CYA. With their CYA 0f 15ppm, it would take longer than a direct dose, agree!
Thank you, gentlemen! I see the logic in using conditioner to raise it to needed levels and then maintaining with the pucks.
Have a great day and as always, I appreciate your exptertise!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.