How to seal seam above tile

tltmom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Aug 5, 2011
Urbana, IL
It has been several years since I’ve been on the TFP site, so apologies in advance if I’m posting this question in the wrong forum. Pool tile was replaced in fall 2020. A crack has developed directly above the waterline tile, pretty much all the way around the pool. I hope it’s visible in the picture. I’m wondering if I should repair this? If so, what material is best & where would I purchase it? Thanks!

Attachments

• DDDA6C74-E97B-4BFD-BF5B-B737CE4FA87C.jpeg
    DDDA6C74-E97B-4BFD-BF5B-B737CE4FA87C.jpeg
    435.4 KB · Views: 37
It has been several years since I’ve been on the TFP site, so apologies in advance if I’m posting this question in the wrong forum. Pool tile was replaced in fall 2020. A crack has developed directly above the waterline tile, pretty much all the way around the pool. I hope it’s visible in the picture. I’m wondering if I should repair this? If so, what material is best & where would I purchase it? Thanks!
Hi all, bumping this for visibility. Hoping for a reply fairly soon. We close in early/mid October and I want to make sure my pool is ready for our harsh winters.

Functionally, that crack is doing no real harm. I would improve the aesthetics with a bead of polyurethane caulk smoothed with a putty knife.

Regular caulk does not have the flex of polyurethane but polyurethane is more difficult to work with.

Do you guys have Sikaflex is the US? For expansion joints in concrete and under the coping tile you can.

Apply masking tape the edge of the crack. In your application I would just do the tile.

Apply sikaflex bead using a calking gun. You may have to do a little test of the whole process to discover how much calking you need to apply. Too much is painful and make sure you have a solvent and rag handy as Sikaflex tends to get everywhere.

Spray bead with spray bottle containing water and a little dishwashing detergent.

Slide a paddle pop stick ( either from an ice block or a bigger one from a doctor who asks you to hold out your tongue and say ahhhh) over the bead creating a nice curved expansion joint sealing the crack. Have a rag with you as you need to wipe the stick often.

You can use the side of the stick, or a scraper to skim the excess of the under side of the tile. Alternatively you tape this side also but think it will be difficult.

Once done pull tape off.

Joint Waterproofing

This guy goes on a bit and uses his finger over a paddle pop stick, but you will get the drift.
youtube how to seal a joint with calking - Google Search

Do you guys have Sikaflex is the US? For expansion joints in concrete and under the coping tile you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.