Rockstead

Sep 2, 2010
Montreal, QC, Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I need to bring my pump in for repair, I found someone locally that will replace my bearings and seal for a very reasonable price.

how do I safely remove the equipment and how do I prevent water from coming through the pipes after I remove it.

I attached a picture of my setup.

Attachments

• C61E656F-5012-4EF1-B829-57BE82577436.jpeg
    C61E656F-5012-4EF1-B829-57BE82577436.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 28
Turn the MPV to the close position and also close the red valves labeled S and D. Unscrew the unions and disconnect the electricity(shut off main panel before).
Edit:
Just noticed you dont have a union on the suction side. You will need to cut the T. This will be a great time to add a union in there before attaching the pump again.

Reactions: Hootz
Turn the MPV to the close position and also close the red valves labeled S and D. Unscrew the unions and disconnect the electricity(shut off main panel before).
Edit:
Just noticed you dont have a union on the suction side. You will need to cut the T. This will be a great time to add a union in there before attaching the pump again.

@Flying Tivo
Im not that handy, so I’m a little intimidated about cutting the T and adding a union, could I empty the water from filter and disconnect the two unions on the S and D pipes and just leave it attached at the pump like that when I bring it in for repair?

Second, at some point I actually need to remove the filter too, my cabana sank and I’m having a company come in to lift and re-level and they said I need to remove anything with weight.

I’m not sure if draining the filter would make it light enough or if I have to remove it completely.

1. How Do I remove the water from the filter?
2. How can I disconnect and remove the filter without having water come in?

Thanks again

Last edited:
To remove water from the filter you need to remove the drain cap at the bottom side of the filter, but still sand is too heavy. You will need to scoop it out or use your shop vac.

Is your pump level lower than your pool? if so then water can siphon back if not dont worry, water cant go up.

Yes you can undo the unions but the repair guy is going to give you the looks for sure, if you can take a picture of his face while checking in. :ROFLMAO:

To remove water from the filter you need to remove the drain cap at the bottom side of the filter, but still sand is too heavy. You will need to scoop it out or use your shop vac.

Is your pump level lower than your pool? if so then water can siphon back if not dont worry, water cant go up.

Yes you can undo the unions but the repair guy is going to give you the looks for sure, if you can take a picture of his face while checking in. :ROFLMAO:

lol, ok I’ll see if they mind me taking a picture :)

ok let me take a step back, because the work needs to happen in two steps and my equipment is highter

1. I need to get my pump repaired first, so I put it the filter in close like you mentioned and at this point can I still remove the pump by unscrewing the unions on the Skimmer and Drain hoses and I won’t have water coming out of those hoses when I do? and then I’ll turn off the power and unscrew the power cable and ground from the pump itself, assuming I can figure that part out.

2. When it comes down to removing the filter when they re-level, I didn’t realize I would have to remove all the sand after the water is removed, can I leave the sand in and just have two big guys move it a few feet outside the door without having to empty the sand?

3. Is removing the cap on the filter the only way to remove the water? So when I first had the equipment installed 10 years ago, they put the filter sitting on a water basin and drilled a hole in to the floor where it sits and I’m wondering if it’s this draining in to the floor that caused the ground to shift resulting in the sinking cabana, so just wondering if it can be done via another method that doesn’t put water on my floor?

4. could I do the unions myself with limited experience, not sure what tools I would need, I see I’m missing a union at the pump and two on the filter.

Thanks again!

1. Some water will come out but not a steady flow, PLEASE, turn off the power before you do anything, safety first.
2. Depending on your size of filter that could be around +250lbs of sand plus the water left over, thats a back breaker. How long have you had this filter? If a long time maybe its good time to clean the sand.
3. You can attach a garden hose to that drain plug and move the water further away.
4. Yes PVC work is not rocket science, you need the parts, pvc glue, a hand saw and a tape measure.

We can guide you if you post pictures.

1. Some water will come out but not a steady flow, PLEASE, turn off the power before you do anything, safety first.
2. Depending on your size of filter that could be around +250lbs of sand plus the water left over, thats a back breaker. How long have you had this filter? If a long time maybe its good time to clean the sand.
3. You can attach a garden hose to that drain plug and move the water further away.
4. Yes PVC work is not rocket science, you need the parts, pvc glue, a hand saw and a tape measure.

We can guide you if you post pictures.

It was never cleaned but sand was replaced about 5 years ago, I know this board doesn’t recommend replacing sand but I’ve never actually cleaned it, I’ve seen some of those videos on it but I was always concerned about the water that would overflow in to the cabana, at least that’s the way it looked when I saw a hose was placed in it, is there a way to avoid water everywhere in my cabana when doing it?

If you don't want to mess with the plumbing, remove the 4 bolts on the back of the plastic pump around the edge of the motor. This will allow you to pull the motor and pump mechanics away from the housing without cutting any pipes. Do not lift it by the pump parts, lift holding the metal motor only.

If you don't want to mess with the plumbing, remove the 4 bolts on the back of the plastic pump around the edge of the motor. This will allow you to pull the motor and pump mechanics away from the housing without cutting any pipes. Do not lift it by the pump parts, lift holding the metal motor only.

Thank you, I’ll definitely try that!

Is the seal part of the motor too?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.