how to reduce pump pressure

robert fors

Aug 9, 2021
sarasota florida
using new zodiac g3, new filter, measured flow pressure with flow gauge, reading is 6, should be 3, checked equipment for valve to decrease pump pressure but found none. Any idea how to reduce the pump pressure?
Sarasota Fl, 15x30 inground, newly resurfaced and new g3, all chemicals good (taylor readings)
I've been managing the pool for 8 years myself but never had a flow gauge before (came with the new g3). Maybe the high pressure is why I've gone through so many g3 diaphragms in the past. 2 photos attached

Attachments

• hayward aqua rite salt system.jpg
    hayward aqua rite salt system.jpg
    649.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 30x15.jpg
    30x15.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 8
Welcome! :wave: I'm going to tag @mas985 for his hydraulics insight, but in the meantime, be prepared to answer some of the following info:
- Post a pic of that motor label
- Looks like you have solar? Provide some details about that set-up (size, elevation, etc)
- Distance from equipment pad to pool
- Pad looks very simple; is the g3 powered by the pool pump as well (i.e. 3-way valve)?
- Now would be a good time to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.

measured flow pressure with flow gauge, reading is 6, should be 3
Read the manual so I now know what you mean by 6 & 3.

Do you only have one skimmer and no main drain?

What filter did you have before?

In the manual, it states to do the following for high flow:

If flow is in the high range (4-6):
• Verify that valves controlling the suction lines are in the correct position.
• Lower the flow setting on the FlowKeeper Valve.
• Open the main drain slightly to further reduce flow.
If that doesn't work, you could install a throttling valve after the filter. This could then be used to reduce flow rate.

Last edited:
Welcome! :wave: I'm going to tag @mas985 for his hydraulics insight, but in the meantime, be prepared to answer some of the following info:
- Post a pic of that motor label
- Looks like you have solar? Provide some details about that set-up (size, elevation, etc)
- Distance from equipment pad to pool
- Pad looks very simple; is the g3 powered by the pool pump as well (i.e. 3-way valve)?
- Now would be a good time to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info.
Thanks for the questions. Attaching some pics.
- solar panels leaked, roof replaced 7 yrs ago & I did not put in new panels.
- pump photo attached
- 25-30 ft pool to pad
- g3 powered by pool pump directly (I don't know what 3-way valve means).
- wondering if the black valve is relevant to reducing flow?

Attachments

• 1628533528605.jpg
    1628533528605.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 7
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 7
  • no solar.jpg
    no solar.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 7
The black valve could be used to reduce flow rate. Slowly raise the handle upwards and watch the filter pressure. When it rises by about 30%, check the cleaner flow reading.

Read the manual so I now know what you mean by 6 & 3.

Do you only have one skimmer and no main drain?

What filter did you have before?

You could install a throttling valve after the filter. This could then be used to reduce flow rate.
HI mas 985, Thanks for the questions.
- New g3 came with a flow gauge which attaches to the hose end to measure the flow. Pic attached. I had not used a flow gauge in the past. Some internet research = 1 is too low, 6 to high, 3 is the desirable level of flow for the zodiac g3. No instructions ore manual came from the manufacturer. Universal advice was 3.
- 1 skimmer attached to the pump, basket skimmer by pool
- new cartridge filter, as previously POOLPURE PLF120A Pool Filter Replaces Hayward C1200
- is the attached valve OK for throttling?
- Throttling valve after filter rather than between pump and filter?

Attachments

• flow gauge came with new g3.jpg
    flow gauge came with new g3.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1628533528605.jpg
    1628533528605.jpg
    967.8 KB · Views: 3
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 4
  • no solar.jpg
    no solar.jpg
    631.9 KB · Views: 4
  • throttling valve.jpg
    throttling valve.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.