asusundevil

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2014
Chandler, Arizona
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just had my above ground pool plumbing replaced after a decade. Is there a coating or something else recommended to apply for protection? I live in AZ and for a few hours a day my pool equipment is pounded by severe sunlight and heat.

asusundevil
1. Painting your pipes helps a lot. Plus, the pool plumbing ends up looking really good. Take your time and it will come out looking great. I rolled the paint on my pipes and that turned out great. A lot easier and a cleaner looking job I think, than trying to deal with the overspray from spray paint. A lot more economical as well. I did a lot of masking etc, so as to not paint my valves, compression fittings etc. I used one of those real small rollers and that worked out really well. Also, the pipes have a bit of a texture to them and I have received quite a few positive comments from friends, neighbors etc, on how well they turned out. If you roll instead of spray, you also get a much thicker coat of paint. I went for two coats since I was looking for max protection from that brutal Arizona summer sun.;)
Here is a small example of how my pool pluming turned after rolling two coats.

2. Maybe give Sun-Away Outdoor Shades a look as well. (I have no affiliation with them). They just completed phase I of my Equipment Pad Shade and I am extremely happy with their workmanship, professionalism and the way it looks. They are right here in the valley (and also in Texas) and are a family business.

Good luck with that and feel free to ping me if you have any detailed questions.
All the best...
r.

asusundevil
1. Painting your pipes helps a lot. Plus, the pool plumbing ends up looking really good. Take your time and it will come out looking great. I rolled the paint on my pipes and that turned out great. A lot easier and a cleaner looking job I think, than trying to deal with the overspray from spray paint. A lot more economical as well. I did a lot of masking etc, so as to not paint my valves, compression fittings etc. I used one of those real small rollers and that worked out really well. Also, the pipes have a bit of a texture to them and I have received quite a few positive comments from friends, neighbors etc, on how well they turned out. If you roll instead of spray, you also get a much thicker coat of paint. I went for two coats since I was looking for max protection from that brutal Arizona summer sun.;)
Here is a small example of how my pool pluming turned after rolling two coats.

View attachment 96773

2. Maybe give Sun-Away Outdoor Shades a look as well. (I have no affiliation with them). They just completed phase I of my Equipment Pad Shade and I am extremely happy with their workmanship, professionalism and the way it looks. They are right here in the valley (and also in Texas) and are a family business.

Good luck with that and feel free to ping me if you have any detailed questions.
All the best...
r.
What type of paint did you use. Your plumbing looks great.

I'm interested in that Sun-away company. Mind if I ask what it's costing ya?

asusundevil
What type of paint did you use. Your plumbing looks great.
I used BEHR ULTRA EXT SATIN from Home Depot. The base is 9850
The code is: CLRNT OZ 384, BL 0-78, CL 0-86, FL 0-18
This is for a quart.

F3BFD42E-E4DD-4048-A319-E26B0396DDC8_1_105_c.jpeg

UPDATE: I originally painted the pipes in late 2018. As of April 2022, the paint is holding up extremely well and I can't hardly notice any fading at all.
I'm interested in that Sun-away company. Mind if I ask what it's costing ya?
Those Sun-Away Pool Equipment Sunscreens are typically around $1,000.00 or more. Smaller one's are probably less I would assume. Just depends on exactly what you want, the size, features etc. I'll post some photos of mine once the Phase II is completed. They do free estimates, so you can find out exactly what it would cost based on your own requirements.
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: asusundevil
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.