How to place a mesh cover over pool/Closing it soon

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I'm taking care of the chemicals and mesh cover for my pool closing, but not necessarily blowing out my lines. I'm letting the pool company do that until I feel comfortable to do it myself.

I don't know how to place a mesh cover over my pool. I've seen some videos on youtube, but I haven't come accross one that is convincing or easy to follow. Does anyone have steps of how I can do this? I will be saving $60 if I knew how to do this on my own. My husband and I will like to manage this on our own.

It depends on how strong you are, one side of the cover gets placed on the anchors, the opposite side will require good arm strength to pull the springs with the pry bar, then you kick it down the bar with your foot. If you haven’t done this before there is a bit of a learning curve.

Reactions: Mendy48
I just installed my safety mesh cover for the first time my self. Two people would be easier but doable with one. One trick is to anchor it to one side then pull it till you can get the opposite side secured and work your way around each anchor. Work quick so it does not sink. My cover is not solid so water will pass thru. The hardest part are some springs will require some strength.

Hard for us to know how strong you are without a complete physical examination. :rolleyes:

Can you lift the cover on your own?

Do you know how the anchors work?

Gotcha!
Nah! I may not be that strong then. ??‍♀️ I may have to just wait for hubby to come home or ask my teenage son for help.

The only reason that I would like to do this myself is because my pool pipes are getting blown out at about 2pm in 1.5 weeks and my hubby won’t be home until 7pm that day to help me put on the mesh cover. It starts to get dark outside when he comes home and I’m fearful that we won’t have enough daylight time to complete the job.

i mean, how long does it take to put a mesh cover on if it involves two people. Not that long, right?

A 16x32 shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes. Ask your son to help.

Unfold the cover and understand how it needs to be positioned, if you have a walk in step, the bottom of the cover will have a reinforced area to help you position it. I normally pull it onto the water, then I screw up all the anchors quickly (unscrewing them before covers on the pool means the cover will get snagged on them during placement)

Then it’s simply placing the springs around the pool on one side and pulling them onto the pry bar when there is tension. Please note you can not do this without a hollow pry bar that goes over the anchors for leverage that came with the cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A 16x32 shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes. Ask your son to help.

Unfold the cover and understand how it needs to be positioned, if you have a walk in step, the bottom of the cover will have a reinforced area to help you position it. I normally pull it onto the water, then I screw up all the anchors quickly (unscrewing them before covers on the pool means the cover will get snagged on them during placement)

Then it’s simply placing the springs around the pool on one side and pulling them onto the pry bar when there is tension. Please note you can not do this without a hollow pry bar that goes over the anchors for leverage that came with the cover.
Thanks. I’ll have my son help me. This explanation/directions helps a lot too. I’ll definitely have my son help me. I don’t think I can do this myself. ?‍♀️

You can always put the cover on early. Mine is on now to stop the leaves but the pool is still running. To finish closing, all i have to do is pop the cover by the returns to plug them after draining/ blowing out the lines. Its much easier to put one side of the cover back on. No heavy cover carrying or akward unfolding by yourself.

You can always put the cover on early. Mine is on now to stop the leaves but the pool is still running. To finish closing, all i have to do is pop the cover by the returns to plug them after draining/ blowing out the lines. Its much easier to put one side of the cover back on. No heavy cover carrying or akward unfolding by yourself.
I was actually thinking of doing that, but wasn’t sure if the pool company needed to see the main drains and return jets to close the pool. I’m not blowing my pool pipes out myself (in the near future I’ll be able to tackle this process myself). Since the pool company is blowing out my pool pipes, I figure I leave the mesh cover off until they are done? ?‍♀️

You/they can pull back the side they need when the time comes. Once the cover is on it only takes a minute. The bulk of the work is unfolding the cover and unscrewing all the anchors.

Or just have them blow it all out and have your son help afterwards or the next day.

Just wanted to add that if you spray WD40 or similar onto pipe tool used for fastening springs, it will make the springs glide down so much easier off the tool onto the floor anchors. Something I just noticed when installing my cover.

I don’t know what wd40 is, but wouldn’t it be safer to just use ordinary oil ... like a drop of cooking oil on the palm of my hand and gently rob the oil on the pipe tool used for the springs, that way it glides down easy?
I hope we are talking about the same thing here... lol.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.