How to patch cracks in plaster

BB_Sacramento

Aug 14, 2015
sacramento/CA
We are scheduled to have our plaster removed and replaced in our inground, gunite pool in 2 months, but existing plaster has many long hairline cracks and we're losing 1/2-1" water a day. It's POSSIBLE that it's just evaporation!! I've done dye tests on every crack I can reach and see no leaks. Most are along the bottom or lower sides of the pool making it hard for us to dive down and dye test and/or patch ourselves. I'm wondering if we should drain the entire pool and patch all the cracks knowing we're having it replastered in 2 months, or if we should hire someone to come patch it for us, or just keep adding water every day or two? Also, I've called around to pool repair places and can't find anyone who performs that kind of repair. Advice?

With high winds and temperature you can have those types of evaporation rates. See the tables in Evaporation of Pool Water - Further Reading

Cracks in plaster need to go through the gunite shell before they lose significant water. Most hairline cracks are superficial and don't go through the plaster to lose water.

I would just add water as necessary until you replaster. And since you are planning to replaster you may find stuff in here helpful....

Reactions: BB_Sacramento
Update - I did the bucket test with the pump off and the pool lost 3" last night! Water level is below the tiles, below the skimmer opening. We have a leak. It must be the plaster cracks and they're mostly at the bottom of the pool. This morning I've called several places in my area to find someone who will perform underwater plaster patching. I found some that USED to do it and don't any longer. I found ONE person who does it but he's going out of town for a few days. I tried to contact a couple of others who have not replied to me. What advice can you give me? I see no other option than for us to patch the cracks ourselves with just goggles!

After a couple of days of not adding water and having the pump off, the water has gone down below the jets but still above the pool light. Water is still going down about maybe 3" per day...I guess when the water stops going down we'll know where the leak is.

Reactions: zea3
Since the water level is below the jets now I assume the filters at the pool equipment has lost the water inside. Since we don't know where the leak is coming from or when the leak will be repaired, I'm wondering if we should open the filter container so everything dries in there so it doesn't mold and cause more damage/expense? Is there anything else I should know about or do while we're in this leak limbo?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What type and model filter do you have? Add it to your signature.

Your cartridges should be fine with your pool drained but it is an opportunity to open the filter up and clean them.

update: Hired a leak detector company who sent someone who could dive the pool as well as determine and fix plumbing issues. Discovered the pool had no plumbing problems but some plaster cracks were leaking - but most were not leaking. He patched the leaking cracks with putty and the leaking has stopped. This is a temporary fix, we know. Having the pool remodeled next month and structure issues will be resolved then. We don't know the extent until the old plaster is removed. If you're having leak issues and suspect the leak might be under the water be sure to hire leak detectors who will get in the water and dive if necessary. Last year I hired a leak detector who didn't get in the water and the price was the same as this company who did, and also fixed the leak at the same time.

Reactions: zea3
I just saw this post, since I'm having similar problem. I've been aware of a hairline crack for nearly 10 years, patched with epoxy, no leak. Now, the pool is leaking 1/4" a day, probably around 200 gal/day. With the drought, it is not acceptable. Long story made short, I got a syringe with long skinny plastic tube and some dye. It was not zebras making all those hoofbeats. It is the top end of the crack, which starts just below the skimmer, and goes to the bottom. The dye got sucked in along about 3 inches of the crack, just like on YouTubes.

Now, BB Sacramento, simply getting your pool re-plastered will not fix your problem. With water pouring out, the crack goes all the way through the gunite shell. So, be prepared for some big headaches and big dollar numbers. I'm facing the same prospect here in Stockton. With our clay substrate, which is totally dessicated due to climate change and drought, after 43 years, the ground continues to move. I am seriously considering abandoning the pool; it will cost about the same as the major structural remodel that will be necessary. My next door neighbor had a similar issue a few years ago; his job was above $60K.

I just saw this post, since I'm having similar problem. I've been aware of a hairline crack for nearly 10 years, patched with epoxy, no leak. Now, the pool is leaking 1/4" a day, probably around 200 gal/day. With the drought, it is not acceptable. Long story made short, I got a syringe with long skinny plastic tube and some dye. It was not zebras making all those hoofbeats. It is the top end of the crack, which starts just below the skimmer, and goes to the bottom. The dye got sucked in along about 3 inches of the crack, just like on YouTubes.

Now, BB Sacramento, simply getting your pool re-plastered will not fix your problem. With water pouring out, the crack goes all the way through the gunite shell. So, be prepared for some big headaches and big dollar numbers. I'm facing the same prospect here in Stockton. With our clay substrate, which is totally dessicated due to climate change and drought, after 43 years, the ground continues to move. I am seriously considering abandoning the pool; it will cost about the same as the major structural remodel that will be necessary. My next door neighbor had a similar issue a few years ago; his job was above $60K.
Your reply made my stomach turn. Ugh!! I hope that is not the case!! We will know in a couple of weeks and will post results...

Any update on your troubles? My pool is still leaking 1/4-3/8" each day. I calculate that to be around 200 gallons/day. With our drought, it is not acceptable. And I need to keep adding cyanuric acid, more chlorine, muriatic acid, etc. This is despite a pool professional spending several months, and a couple thousand of my dollars, and still leaking!

So, BB_Sacramento, can you share the name of the leak detector that you used? Or were you not satisfied? Thanks.

Any update on your troubles? My pool is still leaking 1/4-3/8" each day. I calculate that to be around 200 gallons/day. With our drought, it is not acceptable. And I need to keep adding cyanuric acid, more chlorine, muriatic acid, etc. This is despite a pool professional spending several months, and a couple thousand of my dollars, and still leaking!

So, BB_Sacramento, can you share the name of the leak detector that you used? Or were you not satisfied? Thanks.
We were happy with the leak detection company! They were
BULLSEYE LEAK DETECTION
4015 SEAPORT BLVD, W SACRAMENTO, CA 95691
+1 916-760-8944
Be sure to let them know you want a person to come to your pool who will dive and patch if necessary. From the way they spoke to me, not all their leak detectors can or do dive. It was no extra charge - same price. It took him about 2 hours total for all the work he did including patching cracks. However, we knew it was a temporary fix, and it started leaking about a month after he patched it. We're having the pool replastered now and having issues fixed with the replaster. Your leak might not be the same as ours so yours might not be temporary. Good luck!

Hi BB Sacramento,

Thanks for the follow-up. I called Bullseye last fall, and was told they do not service the Stockton area. American Leak Detection in our area is not doing pools because of no staff, lots of work. My current pro is having one last shot at finding the leak. I have contacted Precision Leak Detection in Antioch, and got on their schedule. Earliest appointment is Dec. 9!!! Keeping my fingers crossed that my current guy finds the leak, which is still around 1/4" per day, above evaporation loss. Keeping me awake at night with our drought so bad. We are on a private well, and septic, so at least any water loss goes back into the ground, and after 20 years is back in the well. Hah.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.